Review of Ain’t She Pretty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Ain’t She Pretty

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ain’t She Pretty" by Barry J Kughn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ain’t She Pretty-A Funeral Director’s Memoirs by Barry J Kughn is a fascinating insight into the life of this often misunderstood profession. This memoir spans a career of 47 years and delves into every aspect of this vocation.

Barry, whose father was a minister, was brought up in Alabama and recollects early curiosities into funeral directing. At a young age, he and his brother had the opportunity to peek at the inner workings of a funeral home when visiting friends. With these early experiences impacting him, Barry conducted ceremonies on household pets, deeply inspired by the empathy and respect he had witnessed in the funeral home.

Barry decided to study pharmacy but realised this did not interest him. His brother persuaded him to take up a position as a funeral home nightman. Here he could attend mortuary school and take accommodation in the establishment. Barry describes gaining valuable experience on his way to becoming a successful funeral director.

Barry’s exceptional career is apparent throughout the pages of the book. Faith, empathy, and a strong desire to help people have motivated his long and rewarding job. His time spent in this field has not been without its hardships, and I enjoyed the personal aspect. I admired the honesty in the book and the way the author used his words to describe the complexities of this profession. The warmth he radiates through the pages is an attribute that must have helped countless families.

The book contains plenty of humour that is very welcome. Grief and sadness are discussed, along with subjects like suicide, terminal illnesses, and unforeseen tragedies. The numerous amusing anecdotes are well-placed to give some light relief. I especially enjoyed the stories of animals making a special appearance at ceremonies.

I enjoyed learning about how traditions have changed over time. The practice of wakes at home has diminished, and cremations have become more popular. People opt for a simple, more cost-effective ceremony these days. Even funeral flowers are less popular. Donations to a desired charity seem to be more commonplace. As with any profession, funeral services must move with the times.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found no negative aspects. My only concern is that it can be an emotional read, and parts did resonate with my own experiences. Maybe keep a tissue handy, but remember, humour and compassion will light up the following pages.

I found no spelling or grammatical errors in the book. It is beautifully written and exceptionally professionally edited. I enjoyed everything about it, despite some sad parts. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. This memoir has given me a new respect for funeral directors and the necessary and hard work they do every day.

Ain’t She Pretty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”