Review of High Clowder Cats

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of High Clowder Cats

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "High Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight is a book that shares the tales of catkind, the ancestry of High Clowder, and how one unique colored cat, who wasn't born of them, came to be their leader. The leadership foundation of this group was strong, excellent, and reliable. It conveyed the message that empathy, equity, and justice would always stand out everywhere, not just in catkind.

This book tells the story of Bushytail, a lone cat who wandered about living a wild, carefree life. He was nonchalant and just lived for survival, but he felt empty and incomplete. Like every other cat, Bushytail wanted to have a family. He yearned for companionship, belonging, and purpose, but this was not coming forth, and life was not going as easy as he thought it to be. He gradually came to a decision that could either bring to light his needs or push them further away. This book portrays the overall growth of Bushytail and how far he came in the achievement of his goals and the fulfillment of his needs.

On the positive aspects of this book, I took great pleasure in the way the author captured the themes of faith and hope using Bristle, who made the powerful stone known to the required people, guided them, and was always there to help renew their trust and belief in the revelations from the stone. The themes of love, perfect unison, and equity were not left untold. The author used Bushytail and his style of leadership to justify these themes. He knew his purpose was to save and restore the glory of the Clowder. He always stood for justice, did the right thing, and was a ruler filled with examples worthy of emulation. I loved how the author captured the theme of friendship, support, and companionship through the characters of Stealth, Barrel, Sleek, Stretch, and other of Bushytail's friends who also made up the Clowder's council. Also, the author beautifully captured the theme of rebellion, envy, and hatred through Brokenear, who tortured and maimed some of the cats in order to take away the pride and reputation of Bushytail and was constantly at war with him and the members of High Clowder till his last breath. This book was written in simple diction.

There's nothing I could consider to be one of the negative aspects of this book. This book was exceptionally well edited; I did not find any grammatical errors in it. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was well written, and I found nothing to dislike about it.

I recommend this book to young adults and teenagers, especially those who love animal fantasy. This book was enjoyable to read.

High Clowder Cats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”