Review of Betrayal in the First Degree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of Betrayal in the First Degree

Post by Christine Palmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betrayal in the First Degree" by Susy J Cobwebs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jonea is a typical, American, teenage girl. She is busy with her school, her boyfriend, and planning her future career as a lawyer. One walk in the park changes everything. She is seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident. The recovery is daunting and long. Her parents work long hours. Jonea seeks support from a nurse on the hospital floor, who then becomes her home nurse. The book follows her recovery and the many ways the accident changed her life. As she heals, so does her memory. She begins to figure out the truth of that fateful night.

Betrayal in the First Degree is written by Susy J. Cobwebs. It is in the young adult genre. It is a pleasant and engaging read. The author captures the dramatic side of teenage friendships and relationships very well. As a middle-aged person, I was still able to enjoy the book. It was not trite or infantile. Early in the book, the reader knows the truth of the accident night. However, not all the characters do. This creates an interesting dynamic and keeps the reader intrigued.

I did not note any significant negative points in the book. The author chose unique spellings for many of the names, which I found mildly annoying. There is a fair bit of high school drama, which is fitting for the genre. It is done in a tactful way and the main character is very level-headed.

I rate this book four out of five stars for being a well-edited and entertaining young adult book. I did not identify any errors. There is enough mystery and intrigue to keep readers engaged with the plot, no matter their age.

I recommend this book to readers approximately aged 13 to 25. I still enjoyed the book as an older reader, but this age group will have the most in common with the characters. It is a great read, with a strong female lead character.

Betrayal in the First Degree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

This is just a definition of what man proposes and God disposes. Sometimes, we tend to plan our future but certain events may end up making it useless.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the intriguing review. A book where we know the truth about a night that many characters in it don't, and watching out how this will play out seems like an entertaining read to me.
Husky03
Favorite Book: The Digital Fortress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husky03.html
Latest Review: The Fight for Sleep by Thad R Harshbarger

Post by Husky03 »

Sounds like a book I would love to read. Thank you so much for the excellent review! Most books we follow the characters through the story and find out the truth when they do. A book where we know the truth, but the character doesn't makes me very curious on how the author succeeds to write a story where the supposed "page turner" is revealed so early on.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Christine Palmer »

It really was a different perspective. Made a young adult book more interesting to an adult reader. Hope you enjoy the book.

Husky03 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 04:12 Sounds like a book I would love to read. Thank you so much for the excellent review! Most books we follow the characters through the story and find out the truth when they do. A book where we know the truth, but the character doesn't makes me very curious on how the author succeeds to write a story where the supposed "page turner" is revealed so early on.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”