Review of Kingdom of Swords and Seelie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of Kingdom of Swords and Seelie

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kingdom of Swords and Seelie" by Darcy Murphy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kingdom of Swords and Seelie by Darcy Murphy is a fantasy book featuring magic and war. The book begins with two sisters, Alicina and Emily, hiking with their dog. Finally, they stumble upon a mysterious cave. Later, Alicina pays a visit back to the cave to learn more, not realizing her sister is following her. They both pass through a door in the cave that can’t be traced once used. After finding an alternative to get out of the cave, they finally get out but realize it is still early compared to where the sun was when they entered the cave. It becomes clear that Alicina and Emily are in a magical world in a kingdom at war. Alicina leaves her sister behind because of her stubbornness to search for help, but when she rethinks her decision and returns, Emily is missing, and only her belongings are on the spot. Where's Emily?

This book has numerous positives. I liked the formatting style of the Kindle ebook. The paragraphs are short and arranged like stanzas, making the reading easier and quicker. I also enjoyed how Murphy intertwined scenes on Earth and the magical world. It was amazing how she developed the characters’ connection between Earth and the magical world. For example, Rose is married in both worlds. Moreover, I appreciate how the author detailed different scenes, especially fighting scenes. These scenes’ descriptions were so vivid that I could envision the combat and all the action. Also, themes like romance, betrayal, and politics added more flavor to the story.

However, I also encountered some aspects I wouldn’t say I liked. The author used foreign terms in the book but didn’t break down their meanings, so I was left troubled. I also found some instances in the book to be too rushed. For example, it would have been better if Emily had been mad at her sister for a while after their reunion because of the pain she endured after being abandoned. I think the author made the reunion and forgiveness too quick. Lastly, although the author didn’t intend to, the names of characters like Seraphim and Gabriel might be considered blasphemy by strict Christians because they resemble those of holy angelic beings in heaven.

Needless to say, the book was professionally edited, as I only encountered a single typo. The positives of the book also outweigh the negatives. Therefore, I will rate Kingdom of Swords and Seelie 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given it five stars were it not for the dislikes, as mentioned earlier. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and magic books.

Kingdom of Swords and Seelie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”