Review of Highway 135

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Highway 135

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Highway 135" by Ronald D O’Quinn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I​ chose this book to read because the summary reminded me of a highway near me where teens try to see how much air they can get by going over a certain bump in the road. There is no time travel in that experience although there are occasionally some broken shock absorbers.

Highway 135 mainly revolves around one teenage couple, Benjy and Susie. I like the way Ronald D. O'Quinn has portrayed their relationship in a wholesome, non-physical way. They are so devoted to each other that they are willing to risk their lives because the idea of living in the world without the other one is unbearable. Together, these two manage to travel in time. Through that experience, they learn to appreciate the lives they are currently living.

T​he setting is 2010 in Mississippi, and the dialogue is heavily accented, which makes it authentic, especially during the time travel segments. There are many parts of the plot, however, that seem unrealistic even for the time travel genre. For example, Benjy is able to lock himself in the principal's office and use the intercom to broadcast something to Susie, Susie is able to walk off campus and go to the park, and Susie gets in a fight with another girl at school. None of those acts are discovered by the high school faculty.

The author has cleverly used the song "I'll Take You There" to signal the arrival of a time trip. This 70's song helps to provide transportation to different eras. The author has not given an explanation of how the destination is determined or controlled. The couple does discover that driving one way on Highway 135 goes to the past and driving the other way goes to the future.

T​he ethical issues of time traveling are never discussed by any of the characters in this book. There were definitely things done to alter the past involving the friends that Benjy and Susie made on their adventure. The naivete of the teens surrounding this issue was my least favorite part of the book. My favorite part is that there were very few errors except for the intentional ones found in the dialogue.

D​ue to the unrealistic scenes and the lack of consequences from meddling with history, my rating is 3 out of 5 stars. The book would certainly appeal to teens, but it might send the wrong message about taking chances and breaking rules.

Highway 135
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

The book sounds great. I agree with you on the ethical nature of time tampering as well as the message the ideas send to teens. Thanks for the great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I haven't read a book about time travel. This must be exciting to read. I like that the relationship of the teenage couple, Benjy and Susie here was non-physical. That's my favorite aspect, I think, if I read this book. Your review is outstanding, Diana!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

zainherb wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 06:11 The book sounds great. I agree with you on the ethical nature of time tampering as well as the message the ideas send to teens. Thanks for the great review.
I appreciate your compliment on my review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 06:22 I haven't read a book about time travel. This must be exciting to read. I like that the relationship of the teenage couple, Benjy and Susie here was non-physical. That's my favorite aspect, I think, if I read this book. Your review is outstanding, Diana!
This was certainly a different time travel method than ones I have read before. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”