Official Review: LINK (The Shadow of Light #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: LINK (The Shadow of Light #1)

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LINK (The Shadow of Light #1)" by Summer Wier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I really love stories where I feel transported to a different place, and this book has that in spade! "Link" by Summer Wier is a great debut YA novel and the first in The Shadow of Light trilogy. The book's compelling premise grabbed me from the let-go and sucked me right in. The beauty of the book is not only in the plot, but in its execution as well. The author smoothly blends together sci-fi, paranormal romance, alternate universe, dark fantasy and suspense, creating one heck of a book!

It’s a tale as old as time with an original twist. This is the coming of age story of Kira Sinclair, a seventeen year old girl who has been raised single-handedly by her mom. Her dad has mysteriously disappeared long before she was born, a circumstance that brought her closer to her mother but has also shadowed her life. kira heroically struggles with abandonment issues and avoids love entangle like the plague. Little does she know what's in store for her.

While camping out in the woods with her friends and celebrating her seventeen birthday, a chance meeting with a fallen star changes her life and her destiny with a bang! When kira takes a relaxing dip at the lake, a falling star hits her literarily. Her friends hasten to take her to the hospital, but during the ride Kira passes out. She then gets whisked into an alternative world of wonders, carnivals and gypsies. This new strange world eerily mirrors her world and holds many secrets. Things aren't always as they seem there and it is up to her to expose its secrets. At first she isn't sure whether the new world is real or not, but as the story unfolds she finds out the core of the matter. Pretty soon Kira is going back and forward between the two worlds and has to deal with some shocking discoveries. The plot thickens when Kira finds out she is linked to the new world by starlight and has to choose one world over the other before the link to her star is broken. This decision will affect not only her, but the entire universe.

You will enjoy the story more if you don't know what else to expect, so I won't tell you any more than that. There is a lot going on, and I will just add that what begins as an innocent episode veers into the realm of the paranormal. You need to suspend your disbelief to truly enjoy the story. The book is written in first person and when you throw in carnivals, gypsies, black holes, mirror-worlds, an eccentric professor, a mad villain with her own agenda, dire prophecies and a love triangle, you get an enchanting story.

Talking about love-angles, I have grown tired from them and mostly I find they are written purely to add angst to the story. However, this isn't the case here. The romantic tension feels natural in the context of the story. Not only the love triangle isn't the entire focus of the story, there is also enough angst without it. The book delivers just the right amount of romance, a touch of mystery and a good amount of angst, and I found myself truly caught up in the story.

I love stories with strong female leads and this story certainly meets the bill. Kira is a strong heroin and as her story unfolds, the reader learns to admire her and root for her. The author doesn't spoon-feed the reader and lets him find out for himself, together with the heroin, exactly what is going on. Although once or twice I became confused over what was happening, all was make clear as the story moved along. I felt this confusion was intentional and it contributed to the atmosphere and the build-up of the tension. This and the narrative made me feel as though I was right there alongside with her and the other colorful cast.

The author incorporates a number of issues into this tale: destiny, fate, friendship, loyalty, trust as well as the main subject matter of good versus evil. There are twists and turns, and the story is definitely not predictable. The world-building is done gradually and the author slowly reveals information regarding it. I didn't know what world Kira came from, and oh boy was I in for surprise. Character development is very fleshed out, the writing style is smooth, and the pacing is just right. The pace builds up towards the end of the book, as Kira starts to make sense of her situation. The author skillfully weaves fact and fiction, danger and romance, and she ties up most loose ends in the bargain. I enjoyed the story immensely, and therefore I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book would greatly appeal to young readers and adults alike. I recommend this book to those who love YA paranormal with a splash of romance.

LINK (The Shadow of Light #1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Amazing review, gali. I`m not a big fan of sci-fi, but you have intrigued me with this book.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you for the thorough review. Sounds like an intriguing story, and fans of paranormal YA should really enjoy this.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review! This is my favorite kind of book. Is it a stand alone first novel in a series or does it serve as more of an introduction to the world?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

chytach18- wrote:Amazing review, gali. I`m not a big fan of sci-fi, but you have intrigued me with this book.
Thank you. :)

-- October 6th, 2015, 4:46 pm --
PashaRu wrote:Thank you for the thorough review. Sounds like an intriguing story, and fans of paranormal YA should really enjoy this.
Thank you and indeed. :)

-- October 6th, 2015, 4:47 pm --
bluemel4 wrote:Great review! This is my favorite kind of book. Is it a stand alone first novel in a series or does it serve as more of an introduction to the world?
It is the first in a series, but a stand alone. Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I am not a big fan of paranormal themes, but you made the book sound really interesting. I like how you pointed out that the love triangle and romantic angst doesn't overwhelm the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I am not a big fan of paranormal themes, but you made the book sound really interesting. I like how you pointed out that the love triangle and romantic angst doesn't overwhelm the story.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

The author doesn't spoon-feed the reader and lets him find out for himself, together with the heroin, exactly what is going on.
I love it when authors give you the space to figure things out, or to wonder what exactly is going on. I think it makes the book more interesting. Great review, BTW.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review, and kudos to the author--this book seems really neat!
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you both :)
A retired Admin/Mod

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome!! :-)
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Thank you for the great review, it gives so much information about the story without giving away too much. I like that you said that the author doesn't spoon-feed the reader so the reader has to think along with the characters to figure our what is happening. I also like that you mention the twists and turns and unpredictability of the story. It sounds like the story and the characters are very well-developed and the pace is good. Your enthusiasm for the story comes across in your review. I want to read this story now. Good review!
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
gali

Post by gali »

Amheiser wrote:Thank you for the great review, it gives so much information about the story without giving away too much. I like that you said that the author doesn't spoon-feed the reader so the reader has to think along with the characters to figure our what is happening. I also like that you mention the twists and turns and unpredictability of the story. It sounds like the story and the characters are very well-developed and the pace is good. Your enthusiasm for the story comes across in your review. I want to read this story now. Good review!
Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really enjoyed reading your review, gali! I feel like this is a story that I would definitely enjoy reading, so I'm adding it to my to-read list! Thanks, again!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:I really enjoyed reading your review, gali! I feel like this is a story that I would definitely enjoy reading, so I'm adding it to my to-read list! Thanks, again!
Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”