Review of Murderer's Blade

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Murderer's Blade

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murderer's Blade" by Allison Moores.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A rogue government has established centers all over the country to house orphans. The orphanages are just a front for something more sinister. The government has an elite assassin program that identifies the best of the best fighters from the said orphanages to eliminate criminals in society.

Scarlet finds herself in the elite assassin academy — Capturers— where they train vigorously with dangerous weapons. By her side is her best friend, Kate. Scarlet is an orphan without a trace of her origin. However, as days go by, a few details come to light. Perhaps, she is not an orphan, as the corrupt government wants her to believe. When a new boy joins Capturers, Scarlet finds herself falling for him at first sight. Naive and possibly brainwashed by their instructors, Scarlet discovers things are thicker and deeper, and any protest against the government's wishes may even cost her life. Even her best friend, Kate, may not be who she says she is.

I couldn’t resist this masterpiece! The plot was juicy, and I couldn't help but savor the enthralling story. At the beginning of each chapter, Allison Moores includes the character narrating that specific segment. We read the narrations from the first-person perspective. I could feel like I was conversing with the characters. I enjoyed that a bunch!

In addition, the competition to be the better assassin was heated. Everyone wanted to be the best. As a result, the characters brush shoulders along the way. Even better and a bit shocking was a revelation that you may have living family members after living alone for your entire life as an orphan. Indeed, the government was powerful and could manipulate society to its advantage.

Scarlet was fierce and charming. I could feel the hurt in Kate's voice. Justin's naivety in the love department was unmatched. Ryan was an innocent kid who wanted to get close to his brother and find some acceptance in the mean society. Every character had flaws that made them stand out from the rest. Murderer's Blade by Allison Moores is an incredibly riveting read. As I approached the end, I couldn't help but wish for more content. Should Allison compose a sequel, I will be the first to grab a copy!

I noted very few errors. Therefore, the work had undergone professional editing. I found nothing to dislike. As follows, a 5 out of 5 rating is in order! I recommend it to readers who enjoy dystopian novels, especially those revolving around rogue governments.

Murderer's Blade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Chris Agbara »

Wow, what a captivating review! You have convinced me to get this book and join you in the thrilling adventure of Scarlet and her friends. I love dystopian novels that expose the dark side of power and corruption. Thank you for sharing your insights and enthusiasm!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

What a thrilling review! This dystopian seems to qualify as my cup of tea! Wonderful detailing what to expect without spoilers. Thank you.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”