Review of MAAGY ~ Heir in the Mirror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of MAAGY ~ Heir in the Mirror

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MAAGY ~ Heir in the Mirror" by Virginia Burton Stringer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Maagy: Heir in the Mirror, written by Virginia Burton Stringer, is a beautiful coming-of-age story following a young protagonist nicknamed Maagy, which is short for Her Highness Princess Melania Abigail Grace. Maagy is raised as a young duchess and spoiled princess by her widowed father, King Henry, until the age of thirteen, when a sudden trip to the royal family's summer castle turns her whole life around. While uncovering the many mysteries of the castle, Maagy meets many new friends and learns a number of life lessons that will aid her as she prepares to lead her kingdom.

My favorite part of this novel was Maagy's character development over the course of the story. I enjoyed that the author introduced Maagy as a rude and snobbish child but then gradually allowed her to grow. I also noticed that Maagy's development did not seem rushed; instead, she slowly learned and improved herself after facing a series of challenges.

I also enjoyed the many unique creatures that were introduced throughout the story. The author paid a lot of attention to even the smallest detail that really helped bring this story to life. While reading, I was able to vividly imagine all the mysterious corridors, elegant dresses, and unique mythical creatures.

There was also a map and list of terms at the very beginning of the book that was very helpful as I was reading. The map helped me understand the layout of the kingdoms much better, which was very beneficial as I was reading through the section where all the kingdoms gathered for a conference. The list of terms was also helpful in understanding some of the terminology used throughout the story.

However, I did notice that the story progressed slowly at times, and it was difficult to stay focused during those times. While most of the novel moved forward at a comfortable pace, there were some moments that seemed a bit boring and repetitive. Despite this minor hindrance, this book was exceptionally well edited, as I found no grammatical errors.

Due to the reasons listed above, I rate Maagy: Heir in the Mirror 4 out of 5 stars. This book was so much fun to read, as I was glued to the pages from the very beginning to the end. I am excited to read the next book in the series. I would recommend this book to young women in middle school or above, as it contains many valuable life lessons.

MAAGY ~ Heir in the Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Proper representation of a character is of prime importance in a coming-of-age stories. Glad the writer was able to excel in this aspect. The detailed review made a point to highlight the minor details which is commendable.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”