Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (review sample #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
coffeybooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (review sample #1)

Post by coffeybooks »

A widely popular novel in Young Adult, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone is an exquisite first novel to this well known series. The story begins with young Harry who lives with his immoral aunt, uncle, and cousin. From a young age he has been told that his parents are diseased due to an accident in his adolescent years. However, the magic begins when he receives a letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry discovers his parents true past as well as his own astonishing identity with the help of friends Ron, and Hermione. Through perfectly spaced action, friendship, and the development of a believable plot, J.K. Rowling achieves a novel that is not only entertaining to the Young Adult audience, but a wide variety of ages.
QyeenMontana
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qyeenmontana.html

Post by QyeenMontana »

The philosophers stone is my favourite Harry Potter book to date 8-)
mommyofangels
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyofangels.html

Post by mommyofangels »

Great book... Reading it to my 7 year old boy.
steampunk_girl
Currently Reading: Turned
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steampunk-girl.html
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by steampunk_girl »

The Philosopher's Stone is where it all started for me. The first time I read it I was probably seven and I didn't understand many parts. Now that I'm older the series are much more enjoyable and if I were to give this book a title it would probably be "The Book That Started It All" because although not my favourite Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone has been life changing in the sense I am now a fangirl and know the definition of 'fandom'. I have OTP's and 'ship' people. This book was the book that started it all.
"It is what you read when you don't have to, that determines who you will be when you can't help it."
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

One of My favorite books that I have ever read. Love the friendship of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I love when those three first meet. The book made me sad, happy, and mad as well. I love a book that can do that. Books that make you feel so many different emotions are the best book's. :techie-studyinggray:
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

This is a fantastic book from an even more fantastic series. Though it originally seemed to be aimed towards children, people are now realizing that the book and series are tremendous and eye opening for readers of all ages– maybe even more for older readers since young children will miss some of the parallelism, wit, etc., and I am so glad! I always highly recommend these books to anyone who has not read them.
RipleyAnne4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripleyanne4.html

Post by RipleyAnne4 »

This is the second time I've read this book and I think it's even better the 2nd time around.
Harry Potter is an 11 year old orphan who's parents were killed when he was a year old. He is immediately taken by some strangers to live with his Aunt and Uncle and cousin Dudley who pretty much hate him. He discovers after receiving an acceptance letter from Hogwarts that he's actually a wizard born from 2 wizarding parents. Hogwarts is an academy for young wizards and witches to learn how to learn magic.
Very fun read. I can't recommend it more.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

This is an old post about the subject at hand which I made a long time ago. You might find interesting.

forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... mp;t=12699
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
pallavi garg
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavi-garg.html

Post by pallavi garg »

And the journey begins. ..spells, magical creatures, castle ..loved it....

-- 06 Feb 2016, 04:14 --

And the journey begins. ..spells, magical creatures, castle ..loved it....
nhdaud_96

Post by nhdaud_96 »

I first picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone when I was 9. It was the most wonderful decision I had ever made. I grew up reading the whole series and through the book, I learnt about friendship, love, courage and so much more. Many of my friends had told me that they have tried to read the book, but had difficulty finishing the first book because they were not used to J.K. Rowling's writing style. If you picked up the book, I encourage you to push through the first few chapters, because I can assure you that this is one of the best books ever to be written.

The book focuses on Harry and his two closest friends, Ron and Hermione. It journeys with them as they adjust to this magical school, where the paintings talk and move, where the stairs move. The book starts off rather dark as baby Harry is dropped off in his new house. The conversation between the characters at the start of the story piques your curiosity as to what is going on. The story moves on Harry's life with his hateful aunt and uncle, the Dursleys, who only shower to their son. The reader would then be brought through laughter as weird things start happening to Harry, from his cousin falling into a glassed snake enclosure to meeting Hagrid who gives Harry's cousin a pig tail. Harry is then brought to Hogwarts where he learns the meaning of friendship as he befriends Ron and Hermione. When weird things start happening at Hogwarts, Harry and his friends go about figuring out the reason for this. Harry with his bravery, Ron with his positivity and Hermione, the brain of the group, go through many encounters which will make your heart pound out of fear for them, laugh at their antics and admire them for their personality.

I gained so much from this book. And I thank J.K. Rowling for making Hermione a role model for girls out there. Hermione showed us that it was alright to be smarter than others. Her intelligence was what saved her friends in so many encounters. She taught me that girls could be brave too. As a young girl growing up, I think that was the most important thing. This book is something I would ensure my future children as well. It has taken a role in shaping me to be who I am today and I have read the book so many times that I would definitely recommend others to read it.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

As any Harry Potter fan would no doubt feel, the original poster on this thread incorrectly stated that Harry Potter's parents were diseased, but in fact, the novel states that he believes his parents were killed in a car accident...

Now that I've gotten that out of my system!... While this book is, by no means, classic novel worthy, what came after is definitely greatness achieved. The first book is simply a stepping stone into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., books regarding Harry Potter and his life. I have read and reread the first book more times than I can count over the years, and I have to say the beginning is very boring. Dreary to read, hard to get through, and at times, very lengthy in descriptions when the descriptions could have been skirted. Although I feel this way about the first book, especially the beginning, I do have to say that this is the perspective of an adult, whereas, as a child reading the book for the first time, I was enchanted. As an adult, and well-read person, I have noticed that J.K. Rowling seemed to sacrifice her writing skills in order to get a beginning description of Harry and his life pre-Hogwarts. Maybe it is just that she was forced to write about the muggle world in such detail that she may have struggled (whereas she succeeded heavily when writing about the magical world), or perhaps it is just getting into the story that was hard for her to create in an interesting way. Now, reading the book, I can't say "I can't put the book down because it is so good," but more of a "I know what is coming is really good, so I can't put the book down."

I would officially give the book a 2/4 stars, with each successive book receiving higher scores than the first.
CaptainHere
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainhere.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by CaptainHere »

I have to admit- I am yet to find a book series that rivals Harry Potter. She literally made the most magical, wondrous, awe inspiring world for children and adults alike to get lost in for generations to come.
Sorcerers Stone however wasn't my fave but where it all started imho. I found it quite boring as a child and difficult to get excited about- it was basically the gateway to the others which got readers addicted.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I just recently reread the entire Harry Potter series and I noticed something that I hadn't when I first read the books. I was fortunate enough to be fairly close in age to Harry Potter as the books came out (meaning when he was supposed to be 11, I was about 11, when he was supposed to be 16, I was about 16, etc.), and the reading level stayed appropriate for me throughout the series. I never noticed before how the Philosopher`s Stone was written for a child, whereas the Deathly Hallows was written for a young adult. This is true in both content and style. It adds such a layer that the books evolve in so many ways with the main characters, and is therefore able to grow with the young readers. I thought that was very, very clever.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Mikayla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayla.html

Post by Mikayla »

I've read the entire Harry Potter series twice. It will always and forever be my favorite book. It was brilliantly written for appropriate age groups. They get darker and darker as the books progress which i LOVE. It has so many different parts; magic, war between good and evil, battle of doing right, love, struggle in school, etc. If you haven't read them yet you are seriously missing out.
strainglia
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strainglia.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by strainglia »

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling

Years ago, my classmates were all excited about the Harry Potter book series and I thought it was just a fad. Then came the movies... and surprisingly, until now HP is still very famous and a lot of the people I know speak highly of this book. I got curious and started to read this book.

I was surprised. It is really a good book. It is very nice and easy to read and very enjoyable. I didn't get bored reading every page of the book, which is surprising because I easily get bored with most of the books out there. I even rewatched the movie before I continued with the remaining chapters of the book. The writing is excellent. It answered some of my questions in the movie. Well, of course, the movie just shows highlights of the book. I gave it only four because there are still some questions which are left unanswered, but I think it will be given light in the next books or not... I wouldn't know if I don't read all of them!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”