Official Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My LadyBird Story by Magus Tor is the most profound YA novel I’ve ever read, ever. Unlike Tor, I’m not proficient enough in my writing to wax poetic about how amazing this novel is and actually do it justice. However, the issues touched upon in the novel are very controversial and dear to my heart, so it was practically a godsend to come across such a well-written novel concerning issues I had just recently been arguing about with family friends.

The story centers around John Bird, a teenage boy who has never quite felt right in his own skin. John is feminine, physically and mentally, and that difference causes him to be bullied incessantly. One day John meets a new transfer student, Aureus, and although she seems nice, John is sure that she’ll realize how different he is and he will lose her friendship. Aureus is stubborn, though, and thus, John finally makes his first true friend and meets someone who will stick by him even when he starts questioning his very existence.

The writing expertise of the novel is just stunning to me. Everything was nigh on perfect. There were a variety of characters, all with strong personalities. The dialogue was so smooth and natural, shaped by the characters’ emotions but not overwhelmed by them. The pace of the storyline was refreshing and never confusing, despite the many time leaps as John grows up and into his new body and lifestyle. Also, the same characters that John encountered in high school show up again to test his new confidence. Finally, the approach to transgender teens and the transitioning process is the most realistic, down-to-earth writing I’ve seen so far in the YA genre. The description of John’s discomfort, his complete assuredness that something is wrong with him but he has no idea what, is something that people sometimes just do not understand.

I will say that although the book started out with very nice editing, as it went on I saw more and more typos and grammatical errors. There were also a few sentences with words missing or extra words added in, problems that could be solved with another vigorous round of proofreading. Also, towards the second half of the book after John has gotten help in starting his transformation, he becomes overwhelming positive about the entire process. Although there are a few moments of worry, he is always quickly reassured by Aureus or another character. I would have liked to see a little more drama from complete strangers, because part of transitioning is showing yourself to the outside world and having to deal with other people’s reactions.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to mature young adults and adults alike, as the topic of transgender and transitioning people as well as those around them is fairly simplified but still imaginably realistic and easy to understand. However, there are some mentions of sexual acts, assault, and attempted rape. Nothing overtly sexual or detailed, but some of the characters find themselves in some very scary situations that could happen to any of us.

In my opinion, everyone should have to read a book like My Ladybird Story at least once in their lives, if only so that they can better understand the pain and hardships that transgender and transitioning people have to go through just to feel at home in their own bodies. It’s not as simple as putting on clothes of the opposite sex. It’s about making your inside match your outside.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The story of John, a boy who has never felt right in his own skin, sounds very touching. It is good that the author approaches the issue of transgendering in a sensitive and realistic way. Too bad about the editing issues in the second part of the book. Sounds like a great book. Nice review! :)

Congratulations to the author for the positive review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

Great review! The book sounds great and better yet if it has such a powerful topic. Congratulations to you and to the author :)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very very interesting review. I keep an eye on the book.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review! I really enjoyed reading it. It seems like there is a lot more discussion going on about transgender people in the last 9 years. When I was getting my counseling degree in 2007 this was a very new topic. It's nice nice to see it become part of cultural awareness.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

bluemel4 wrote:Great review! I really enjoyed reading it. It seems like there is a lot more discussion going on about transgender people in the last 9 years. When I was getting my counseling degree in 2007 this was a very new topic. It's nice nice to see it become part of cultural awareness.
Thanks! As much as it seems to be growing as a topic, there are still a lot of older folks out there who don't seem to be getting it. Some people mock Caitlyn Jenner for her late-in-life transition but don't listen to children or teens when they start to have the same questions about whether or not they fit into their own bodies.

It really is a touchy topic, and it's hard to take a moderate stance on it.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Personally, I'm not much into transgender stories. However your review made it sound very interesting, so, I might give it a try. Great review!
magus tor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by magus tor »

Thank you for the great review. Am glad you like it. :)
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

magus tor wrote:Thank you for the great review. Am glad you like it. :)
It was no problem! My pleasure, really. :mrgreen:
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

katiesquilts wrote:My LadyBird Story by Magus Tor is the most profound YA novel I’ve ever read, ever.
Wow! What an endorsement! :D

I am excited to announce this book is today's Book of the Day. It is priced at a generous discount of only $2.99, but you can read it free with KU which you should also hopefully be able to get free.

Great review @katiesquilts ! :D And congrats to @"magus tor" on the impressive endorsements and amazing ratings. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

So jealous you got to review this one!!! I wanted to read it but it was taken before I could get to it... hmm.. now I know who got it... :twisted2: :twisted2:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Kidding!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, what a great topic for a book - a teenage boy who never felt like he fit in anywhere until he meets Aureus. Transgender and transitioning is something that should be talked about more. The more exposure, the better, in my opinion. I love how you mention that this was a well-written book and that the character were written strongly with much emotion. Too bad about the editing not being as strong towards the end, but I'm that you were still able to enjoy this one!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

ALynnPowers wrote:So jealous you got to review this one!!! I wanted to read it but it was taken before I could get to it... hmm.. now I know who got it... :twisted2: :twisted2:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Kidding!
Awww! I'd say that I'm sorry I snatched it from you, but I really enjoyed it... :wink2:
Hopefully you were able to get it when it was on sale.. Once you've read it, I'd love to know what you think about it! :D

-- 28 Mar 2016, 13:39 --
hsimone wrote:@katiesquilts, beautifully written review! It sounds like an interesting topic to read about.
Thank you! :D
If you've never read a book with transgender topics, I highly recommend My Ladybird Story as a starting point!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

What a great review, you did a wonderful job explaining the book and recommending it. I think this would be the perfect fit for my niece. Thanks for sharing.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Just added this one to my shelves :)
It's right up my alley, and I look forward to reading it :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?