Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Amy Luman »

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy reading. I hope to never be shipwrecked or sold int slavery so reading about it is as close as I plan to get. Ettore’s story sounds fascinating. I always enjoy vivid descriptions, too. Congratulations on BOTD!
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

I've recently become a fan of historical fiction and this review does the book justice. A wonderful read
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

The book revolves around Ettore an enthusiastic young boy who lives in a disorderly house and works as a tourist guide. One day Ettore and his friends get lost in sea and they are apprehended by Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. Will they get out of this situation.
Bithiah
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Mitzi Perdue
Currently Reading: A God-Balanced Life
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bithiah.html
Latest Review: Developing Resilience by Penny Christian Knight
fav_author_id: 240516

Post by Bithiah »

After reading the review, I discovered that this book is about a street person who travels with two buddies, Paul and Bruno, who serve as tourist guides. Ettore and his buddies become separated at sea during a tour due to strong winds, waves, dense fog, and rain. Their position deteriorates when they are caught by Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. I'm not a lover of historical fiction, but after reading the review, I'm very interested in giving this book a try. The review was extremely well written. Congratulations to the author for BOTD.
kahuria1
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kahuria1.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by kahuria1 »

The review is well written, describing the content of the book and how the book makes the reviewer feel.The reviewer gives a brief preview of the of the book making the interested reader curious to find out more.
Yamini Yamini
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 4
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yamini Yamini »

:techie-studyingbrown: The story of "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis seems captivating and full of intricate details. The compelling story of Ettore's journey from a lively young child to a captive in Algiers looks to be one of resiliency and survival. The story is made even more engaging by the author's vivid descriptions and insightful observations about the difficulties faced in life. Readers find great resonance in Ettore's depiction of his tenacity in the face of hardship, which provides insightful lessons in tenacity. The storm encounter at sea draws readers deeper into the narrative by introducing a dangerous and exciting element. It is impressive how well Lewis is able to arouse empathy for the characters and their situation, making for a genuinely engaging reading experience. With its realistic themes and gripping plot, "A Captive in Algiers" is certain to make an impression. I can't wait to read more of this gripping story and find out how Ettore handles the difficulties of being held captive in Algiers.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

A stunning review, thank you 😊
This book sounds filled with raw and thrilling adventure.
Ettore already radiates such strength of character and charisma, I am left wondering what becomes of his journey.
I am simply intrigued as to what Ettore and his companions endure.
Congratulations to the author 👏
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of "A Captive in Algiers" beautifully encapsulates the essence of the book and its impact on the reader. The vivid descriptions and immersive storytelling truly bring Ettore's journey to life, making it relatable and compelling. Your insights into the characters' emotions and the challenges they face add depth to the narrative, showcasing the author's skill in crafting a captivating story. It's evident that the book left a lasting impression on you, and your recommendation highlights its universal appeal. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this intriguing read!
Jacqueline Kennedy 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jacqueline Kennedy 4 »

I can only imagine how distressing it will be for your life to suddenly be altered by such an occurrence as being sold into slavery. This must be a very interesting piece. I love this review. I must say it was so beautifully written . I feel sorry for the protagonist though, but I'm sure he will emerge victorious
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Nice review! This sounds like a very compelling and inspiring adventure.
For instance, Ettore's strong determination and his aspiration to be like Muhammad Amalfi greatly resonated with me.
I was captivated when Ettore and his friends encountered a severe storm at sea during their tour. I felt deep sympathy as they endured waves of nausea, stale and putrid air, numbness, and stiffness caused by the storm.
Wow, talk about a tough go! In this case, I commend the effort to keep hope alive. Sometimes that’s all we have to hold on to.
Upasana Vidish Purohit
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upasana-vidish-purohit.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Upasana Vidish Purohit »

This plot is about a young boy and his friends who get lost in the sea and then get sold to slavery. I feel it's going to be a very thrilling experience after reading this, as well as very sad. Also review and summarise the message of never giving up and being positive. Thank you for the descriptive review.
Eugine Ingalwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eugine-ingalwa.html
Latest Review: What Do You Think, Mr. Collins? by Neal Bialostosky

Post by Eugine Ingalwa »

Right from the preface I can tell that this is an interesting story that draws from the political history of Algiers. I love how the author's captivating family history inspires the pages of this book from the beginning. I am interested to know what the folios written by Muhammad al-Amalfi and his wife contain!
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis. An interesting book, talks about Ettore, a street guy from Amalfi. Ettore is rugged and he lives in a disorderly house. Paul and Bruno his two friends. Ettore and his two friends found themselves into a critical situation, they were sold into slavery. This book is captivating, inspirational, strength, never to give up. Congrats on your #BOTD.
Yagor Coelho Sant Anna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yagor Coelho Sant Anna »

I really liked your analysis of the book. The way you described the characters and plot of the book made me very excited to start reading.
Sakshi A Soni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-a-soni.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Sakshi A Soni »

Your review of "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis has left me utterly captivated and eager to embark on the journey within its pages. Your genuine enthusiasm for the narrative and admiration for the author's honesty shine through your words, making it clear that this is a story worth experiencing firsthand. The vivid descriptions of scenes and the emotional connection you felt with the characters have deeply resonated with me, drawing me further into the world of Ettore and his companions. Your assurance of the book's professional editing and pleasant referencing, coupled with your glowing recommendation, have solidified my decision to immerse myself in this captivating tale. Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts and guiding me towards what promises to be a remarkable literary adventure.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”