Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I am intrigued by books that draw you into the character's emotions. I can only imagine how Ettore felt while being enslaved. Thank you for your informative review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An intriguing story of a tourist guide boy can be found in the book "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis. The story revolves around Ettore, an enthusiastic, energetic, rugged, and unscrupulous young boy.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

Sound like such an intriguing and in a way adventurous. I definitely have to read this. I just have to find out what happens to Ettore and his friends after they sold for slavery. Thanks for a captivating review. Congrats on BOTD.
Dennis Nickerson
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-nickerson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Dennis Nickerson »

Thank you for your excellent review. My affinity for the story was also heightened by the authors vivid descriptions of various scenes in the book. I sampled the Kindle edition of A Captive in Algiers: Book One in the Muhammed Amalfi Series by AJ Lewis. His grandfather emigrated to America from Algiers and insisted on erasing the family's history to Americanize his family. When the author's father married an American woman, he assigned her surname (Lewis) to his sons, but his brother, Edmund, takes his ancestral name, Amalfi, as his social media identity. When his grandfather's eldest brother renovated the ancestral home in Algiers, the folios of his great, great grandfather, Muhammed Amalfi, born around 1770, were discovered in the walls. His great Uncle's grandson (cousin) found Edmund online under the pseudonym Amalfi, and the folios came into the author's possession, who then began to transform them into a story of the misunderstood history of the forgotten people of Algiers before the French invasion in 1830 when they were under Ottoman rule. Lewis unfolds a mystery into a fantastic novel using this amazing ancestral discovery.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Post by Merits Anih »

"A Captive in Algiers" is a captivating read that immerses you in the harrowing journey of Ettore and his friends. Lewis's vivid descriptions transport you to the heart of the action, making you feel the desperation of being lost at sea and the terror of being captured and sold into slavery.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Midnight Mass
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I enjoy books where an author prefaces his work by indicating that the text was written in a bygone time, with the author privileged to relate the story. This book gets off to just a start, which I found intriguing and nicely written. Congrats to Mr. Lewis on his achievement.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Post by Salome Ogani »

Lewis's meticulous research and attention to detail bring the 17th-century Mediterranean world to life in a way that few historical fiction novels can match. From the sights and sounds of Amalfi to the harsh realities of life as a slave in Algiers, every aspect of the setting is vividly rendered.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

"A Captive in Algiers" is a poignant coming-of-age tale that explores the resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity. Ettore's journey from a carefree young boy to a hardened survivor is both heartbreaking and inspiring.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Your recommendation makes it clear that this is a must-read for those who appreciate stories of adventure, survival, and personal growth. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this captivating book!
Marina
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Pioneering Nonprofit AI Initiatives: A Guide to Generational Diversity, Ethics, and Collaboration by Ainsley K. Hines
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much for your review. The plot developed from Amalfi to Algeris is a great story with captivating details.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Gezai Enya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gezai Enya »

Your review of "A Captive in Algiers" is compelling and insightful. The vivid descriptions and immersive storytelling you highlighted make it sound like a captivating read. Your recommendation and thorough analysis of the book's strengths will surely pique the interest of potential readers.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis. Your review beautifully captures the essence of the book, highlighting its thrilling narrative and profound portrayal of life's intuition. The vivid descriptions and immersive scenes truly bring the story to life, allowing readers to connect deeply with the characters' emotions and experiences. Your recommendation makes this book a compelling choice for readers, especially young adults seeking inspiration and intriguing storytelling.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Quantitative Research Made Easy by Claude Phiri

Post by sanjeev maurya »

It sounds like "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis is a captivating and thrilling read, with its gripping storyline and vivid descriptions. Your review has piqued my interest, especially in Ettore's journey and the challenges he faces as a captive in Algiers. I'm intrigued to discover how he navigates through these adversities and how his character evolves throughout the story. Thank you for sharing your insights and recommendation—I'll definitely add this book to my reading list!
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

According to the official review, the book is already interesting to read. You just want to see how Ettore experiences his unwilling journey from Europe to Algiers. It fits on my next-read list. nice review
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your appreciation for the author's vivid scene descriptions and the emotional depth of the characters speaks volumes about the book's ability to transport readers into its world.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”