Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Congrats on BOTD!
AJ Lewis's "A Captive in Algiers" An intriguing book describes Ettore, an Amalfi street vendor. Ettore is a rough guy who lives in a disorganized home. His two companions are Paul and Bruno. After being sold into slavery, Ettore and his two pals found themselves in a precarious predicament. This book is powerful/inspiring/engrossing and never gives up.
Shiru Elizabeth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

The book is exceptional because of the way the author deftly captures life's deep intuition. My interest in the plot was increased by the book's detailed descriptions of its many situations. Congrats on BOTD 
Rose Nafula Oketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

"A Captive in Algiers" sounds intriguing. As its title suggests, it's about a young boy and his companions who end up being captives in Algiers when they are apprehended by Barbary Pilate when they get lost at sea during the tour. I am curious if they get out of the slavery situation. Thank you for your great review! 
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem
DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncan-tshepang-mathebula.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA »

The book revolves around Ettore, an enthusiastic, energetic, rugged, and unscrupulous young boy who lives in a disorderly house and works as a tourist guide to survive. Ettore, a street guy from Amalfi, Italy, has two friends named Paul and Bruno, who accompany him as tourist guides. One day, Ettore and his companions get lost at sea during a tour due to relentless wind, waves, thick fog, and rain. Their situation worsens when they are apprehended by the Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. Great review.
Mole128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mole128 »

The book sounds interesting as Ettore and his companions get lost at sea during a tour due to relentless wind, waves, thick fog, and rain. Their situation worsens when they are apprehended by the Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. I would love to read the book and find out what will happen to Ettore and his companions.
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

The book is about Ettore, a street guy from Amalfi, Italy, has two friends named Paul and Bruno, who accompany him as tourist guides. One day, Ettore and his companions get lost at sea during a tour due to relentless wind, waves, thick fog, and rain. Their situation worsens when they are apprehended by the Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. The book sounds thrilling and exciting.
ken4512
Favorite Book: Killers of the Flower Moon
Currently Reading: The Adnentures of Amina al-Sirafi
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ken4512.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by ken4512 »

I enjoyed reading your review of AJ Lewis's historical fiction Captive in Algiers.
I read the preface by the author about how a family heirloom inspired him to write the novel- fascinating,
captivating and mesmerizing.
I'm planning to read the novel.
Congrats to the author for BOTD!
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I always admire writers who can play with descriptions well. Just the cover of this book already caught my attention, let alone its contents that I feel will be full of surprises. This review is well-written and makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

A Captive in Algiers seems to offer a compelling narrative filled with adventure, resilience, and profound life lessons. The author's ability to portray vivid scenes and delve into themes of determination and the transformative power of unexpected encounters adds depth to the story.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola has written a very intriguing review of A Captive in Algiers written by AJ Lewis. The first paragraph was introductory about the main facts of the book. Quite interestingly the reviewer stimulated the sense of curiosity of the readers by leaving some introspective questions at the end of the first paragraph that would be very helpful for readers to have some motivation to know what will happen next to the preliminary scenes of the story.

This review is mostly premised on the writing style and narrative of the author. She clearly highlighted the fact that due to the intelligence of the author and hi excellent description of the scenes she was able to get deeply connected with the scenes, descriptions and characters of the story.

She also gave a 5 star rating to this book with proper rationale and justification and also invited the other young readers to enjoy reading this book . On the whole , the review made me feel motivated to read this book and enjoy the same experience like that of the reviewer.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola has written a very intriguing review of A Captive in Algiers written by AJ Lewis. The first paragraph was introductory about the main facts of the book. Quite interestingly the reviewer stimulated the sense of curiosity of the readers by leaving some introspective questions at the end of the first paragraph that would be very helpful for readers to have some motivation to know what will happen next to the preliminary scenes of the story.

This review is mostly premised on the writing style and narrative of the author. She clearly highlighted the fact that due to the intelligence of the author and hi excellent description of the scenes she was able to get deeply connected with the scenes, descriptions and characters of the story.

She also gave a 5 star rating to this book with proper rationale and justification and also invited the other young readers to enjoy reading this book . On the whole , the review made me feel motivated to read this book and enjoy the same experience like that of the reviewer.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Tars »

I'm not really sure that this story appeals to my tastes, not only because of the main idea behind it, but mostly, it is not very original and has been read repeatedly in numerous variations already. Apologies, I prefer to pass the book, but still would like to offer my congratulations on BOTD!
Khushi Yadav 8
Favorite Book: The Unfakeable Code®
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi-yadav-8.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Khushi Yadav 8 »

To roam the streets and earn your own bread is something, understood only by the one who have to suffer. And on top of that surviving slavery. I wonder the hardship of Ettore and his companion is what they have ever saw coming in their life.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The book sounds engaging and intriguing. It tells us the story of Ettore who along with his friends had an unfortunate encounter with the pirates and sold into slavery, their experience of a different culture and their struggle to survive. It will be interesting to read this story. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 555
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis is a book whose plot revolves around Ettore. Ettore is an energetic young boy from Amalfi, Italy who works as a tourist guide. One day Ettore and his companions will be sold into slavery in Algiers. The book is professionally edited.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”