Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Gerry Steen »

This review has caused me to be intrigued with this book. I want to know more about Ettore from Amalfi's life. How did he survive the slavery. How did he survive the rough seas, What happened to his friends. What did he grow up to be like? I will enjoy reading this book as so many questions need to be answered. :techie-studyinggray:
Loice Akello
Currently Reading: The unfakeable
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loice-akello.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Loice Akello »

"A Captive in Algiers" is rich in the history of an enthusiastic, energetic young boy and his immediate environment, the challenges he faces and how his decisions would shape his future life. Delving into themes of identity, fidelity, struggle, friendship, and more. I would love to explore it further.
Rose Angela
Favorite Author: Lisa Kleypas
Favorite Book: God of Wrath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5547

Post by Rose Angela »

In "A Captive in Algiers," author AJ Lewis spins a riveting tale of adventure and survival set against the backdrop of 18th-century Amalfi and Algiers. When orphan boy Ettore seizes an opportunity to make a quick coin by borrowing a boat in Amalfi, he unwittingly sets off a chain of events that will change his life forever.

As Ettore navigates the stormy seas of the Tyrrhenian Sea, he grapples with the harsh realities of his past and the uncertain future that lies ahead. Will his street smarts and survival instincts be enough to save him when he falls into the clutches of Algerian corsairs and is sold into slavery?

"A Captive in Algiers" is a gripping prequel to the Muhammad Amalfi Mystery Series, exploring themes of identity, loyalty, and the bonds of friendship in the face of adversity. If you crave fast-paced historical fiction set in unconventional locales, then AJ Lewis's latest offering is sure to captivate and enthrall.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

This book A Captive in Algiers by AJ Lewis looks like and exciting book to read. Seeing that readers will be able to connect with the characters emotionally makes me want to read the book. Being able to put yourself in the character's shoes makes reading the book worth while.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting story following Ettore, a tour guide, and his companions as they are lost at sea during a tour due to a storm only to be captured and enslaved by pirates. Will they make it home? It might be worth a second look, Well done.
Macelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Macelo »

Great review Ettore journey seems one filled with everything from mystery, adventure and many more cant wait to find out more.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Silverblood Promise
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Faking Fairytales by Aimie O'Callahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

It's great when the book is so immersive one feels like they are there with the characters. Especially, when it gives you a chance to experience something so distant from your own life
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It is really intriguing to know what will happen to Ettore and his companions after being sold into slavery in Algiers. The vivid descriptions of scenes and events seem to be an appealing aspect.
Caterine Potes Morales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caterine-potes-morales.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Caterine Potes Morales »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "A Captive in Algiers". It sounds like an exciting read! The journey of Ettore and his companions seems packed with twists and turns. I love stories that transport me to different worlds, and this one seems like it does just that. It's awesome to hear that the storytelling is so powerful and immersive. Thanks for the recommendation!
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The Time Cave - Spanish Main by Trevor Anderson
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Alida Spies »

Getting lost at sea during extreme weather conditions is bad enough. To then also get captured and sold into slavery must've been an extremely unpleasant experience. Thank you for the insightful review.
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

The book revolves around Ettore, an enthusiastic, energetic, rugged, and unscrupulous young boy who lives in a disorderly house and works as a tourist guide to survive.
- It's amazing that Ettore is able to keep all those positive qualities and a tour guide job amidst a disorderly house in order to survive. It definitely Intrigues me to read the book. An excellent review. Thank you.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

The sample was exciting,so I agree with the reviewer who gave the book a perfect 5 for its captivating plot and interesting characters.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dalia Chf »

this historical book is about a shipwreck that ends up with people being sold into slavery. Not my favorite kind of book, but the sample was very intriguing! and if, as you said, there are descriptions that make you feel like you're inside the scenery the author is describing it makes me really want to read this book! thanks for the review it was very informative!
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This sounds like a great historical fiction book. I hope Ettore and his friends survived the slavery. I can't wait to begin reading this book!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a historical fiction novel that follows Ettore, an orphan who lives in a brothel and works as a tour guide. Filled with vivid scenes and well-developed characters, readers of the genre, as well as those interested in mystery, suspense, and adventure will want to pick this one up today! Thanks for the helpful review! :-)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”