Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dan Polumbric
Currently Reading: The Return of the Knights
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-polumbric.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Dan Polumbric »

In 'A Captive in Algiers' we follow an adventure of a young Italian boy named Ettore, who ends up far from his 18th century Italian home and must survive as a slave and face unknown future.
I'm intrigued in the author's message in the foreword, where they claim that this story is a fictionalized account of an ancestor. I agree with the reviewer that this fits in the Young Adult category.
This is a prequel to a series of books, so I recommend reading this if you're planning to continue in the books' universe.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 644
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“A Captive in Algiers” by AJ Lewis is about a young boy tourist guide named Ettore who works hard but he is also unscrupulous. The sample focuses totally on Ettore, his background and his two friends Paul and Bruno who go along with Ettore as tourist guides in Italy. One day while conducting a tour they were lost at sea and ended up captives of Barbary pirates that sold them into slavery. One needs to read the book to learn what happens to the three friends and tour members that were also taken captive. Life lessons should be learned from the very detailed story about Amalfi, Italy.
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This book immerses readers in the thrilling narrative of Ettore, a young Italian boy who faces the challenges of survival after being captured and sold into slavery in Algiers. Through vivid descriptions and compelling storytelling, the author masterfully portrays Ettore's resilience, determination, and the transformative power of unexpected encounters. Nice review.
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Sky Revews »

"A Captive in Algiers," by A.J. Lewis, pulls you into an action-packed sea voyage. We come across Ettore, a courageous orphan who is living by his wits in the heralded port city of Amalfi. Congrats on #BOTD!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

The storyline of this book is seamless and I must thank the author. I have not yet finished reading it but I surely will. Thanks for the detailed review!
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

A Captive in Algiers by AJ Lewis throws Ettore, a young Italian guide, into a harrowing adventure of slavery and survival in Algiers. Vivid descriptions and themes of resilience make this a captivating read.
Lorna Philip Enslin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading: Good Not Hate
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorna-philip-enslin.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley
Reading Device: 1Device
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Lorna Philip Enslin »

A well- written review thank you. From the Amazon sample it appears the main protagonist, Ettore gets lost at sea on a tour and is subsequently sold into slavery. Algeria is a country steeped in history and adding suspense and danger. Sounds like an intriguing book for young adults.
Love Achondo Akpearl
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-achondo-akpearl.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Love Achondo Akpearl »

Such analysis of the book does not only show you read the book passionately but thoroughly. It leaves one intrigued to know what actually happened to Etorre in the end. Great review!
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

The evocative depictions and captivating narrative style vividly animate Ettore's journey, rendering it both relatable and enthralling. I am particularly enamored by how the author seamlessly weaves their rich friendship into the fabric of the story, infusing each page with inspiration and depth from the very outset.
Ekassiba Ochuku
Currently Reading: Journeying with God in the Wilderness: A 40 Day Lent Devotional Through the Book of Numbers
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekassiba-ochuku.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Ekassiba Ochuku »

I enjoy reading historical fiction, from the review, book seems to be an interesting one the author's style of writing and storytelling is captivating. I will definitely read the book. Thank you for a detailed review
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

The narrative has an intricate plot filled with unforeseen twists and turns. As I eagerly anticipate the resolution, my curiosity is piqued about the fate of the Ettore and his companions. I agree with the reviewer that each uncertainty offers lessons, fostering personal growth and positivity.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

Ettore can not be that unlucky, how does he struggle to make ends meet and ends up getting lost at a sea during a tour due to relentless wind, waves, thick fog and rain.
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

Living on the street has a way of naturally endowing someone with survival skills. I believe Ettore and his friends will do just that. Nice review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The lesson and encouragement on the need to always remain positive and to never give up is an important one, and it is relevant in life. The fact that the author employs vivid descriptions makes the story sound intriguing, and I cannot wait to read it. Many thanks for the incredible review. I have added the book to my shelf.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The review sounds intriguing! The way it sets up the story with Ettore and his buddies getting caught in such a crazy situation hooks you right away. I'd definitely be curious to see how they navigate being captives and if they manage to find a way out.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”