Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rahul Singh 29
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book. Ettore's story beautifully showcases how challenges can bring unexpected opportunities. Congratulations to the author, #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

There's a lot of intrigue to this story. The ugly but undeniable realities of slavery and racism exist in our world, and that is why I value works like this because they let people remember the terrible things that people are capable of.
Great review very honest and well-written.
CHANTAL EWING
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantal-ewing.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by CHANTAL EWING »

‪I was captivated by it from the opening page until the end. A book that tells the story of young Ettore, an orphan, who is struggling to survive. As an ambitious street kid who lives in a brothel and makes a living as a tourist guide, Ettore must confront a multitude of obstacles‬
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Chris Agbara »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis is a riveting tale of survival and resilience, filled with vivid descriptions and captivating scenes. Highly recommended for its powerful storytelling and relatable characters. 5/5 stars.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Congratulations on the BOTD award. The content of the book is appealing and intimidating. The reviewer has provided a short overview of this book. The story is thrilling,adventurous and intriguing. I would like to know more about Ettore.
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: Alice In Dreamland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Tejas Koli »

"A Captive in Algiers" sounds like an intriguing and captivating read! The story of Ettore's journey from Amalfi to Algiers promises to be both thrilling and thought-provoking. I'm definitely adding this book to my reading list! 📚 Congrats on BOTD!!
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

Award-winning author AJ Lewis's "A Captive in Algiers" explores the mystery behind Muhammad Amalfi, an orphan child who takes out a boat loan in Amalfi. When a sacrifice is necessary to support the companions he makes along the way, young Ettore, who is struggling to survive, must face his past, his convictions, and his own shortcomings. The book contains amazing writing and facts. A Prisoner of Algiers, a precursor to the Muhammad Amalfi mystery series, delves into themes of identity, loyalty, hardship, companionship, and more. AJ Lewis's novel is a must-read for fans of fast-paced historical fiction set in strange locations.
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

I would like to know how Ettore, Bruno, and Paul handled captivity. Congrats!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Last year was filled with many personal struggles and painful experiences, so I'm shying away from sad stories for now. I hope Ettore's story ends on a happy note.
Azi Joseph
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azi-joseph.html
Latest Review: Living a Life in Balance by Abdullah Boulad

Post by Azi Joseph »

Encouraging congratulations to the author of the book "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis nice review from Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola I enjoyed reading your review of this book, it's the most interesting book I would like to read.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

This book is a must read since it vividly describes how Ettore navigates all complexities of life.just like every individual we all at some point resonate with all that Ettore undergoes.I highly recommend this.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

A Captive in Algiers by AJ Lewis is a gripping tale that follows Ettore's journey from a street guy in Amalfi to a captive in Algiers. The story is filled with thrilling adventures, deep emotions, and powerful life lessons. Congrats on BOTD!
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

It seems that Ettore and his friends have a lot of adventures as tour guides. And the author's vivid description must have helped bring these adventures to life.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

A Captive in Algiers seems like a captivating book with a great storyline. Ettore seems like an interesting character. I'm curious about whether Ettore and his friends will free themselves from slavery. Congratulations on making botd!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I like how you capture the book's ability to arouse empathy from readers. It foregrounds Lewis' ability to engage readers in the characters circumstances and their emotions at that times. Thank you for the wonderful review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”