Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prudencio Al Carino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prudencio-al-carino.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Prudencio Al Carino »

A Captive in Algiers by AJ Lewis presents a gripping narrative of Ettore's journey from a carefree tourist guide to a captive in Algiers, showcasing themes of resilience and friendship. The vivid descriptions and immersive storytelling draw readers into the turbulent events, earning the book a solid recommendation for its engaging portrayal of life's challenges and the power of perseverance.
Eisha Nadeem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eisha-nadeem.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Eisha Nadeem »

This review eloquently captures the immersive experience and emotional depth of "A Captive in Algiers," highlighting its vivid storytelling and the resilience of its characters. It effectively conveys the book's appeal and recommends it as a compelling read for young adults and fans of intriguing narratives.
Himanshu K Yadav
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himanshu-k-yadav.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Himanshu K Yadav »

The gripping adventure is not the only thing this novel reveals; it also provides insight into the cultural intricacies of the period. We witness the conflict between Christians and Muslims, the bitter realities of slavery, as well as the strangely human acts of kindness even in the most hopeless situations.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

It's sad that Ettore, Paul and Bruno were sold into slavery and reading and finding how these tourists guide goes through their new challenge would be interesting.
Renu Jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-jain.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Renu Jain »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis skillfully portrays the resilience and indomitable human spirit.Ettore's transformation from a marginalized orphan to a survivor of piracy is vividly depicted with compelling realism and emotional depth.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Nenye Charles »

One particular aspect I like about this book on historical fiction is on the well-rounded development of characters. I totally enjoyed reading this. Kudos to the author!
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Promiscuous Girl by Kelli Nicole

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

The review provided valuable insights. The plot appears engaging, following Ettore, Paul, and Bruno as they face the challenges of nature and ultimately become captives. I am intrigued to discover the fate of Ettore and his companions.
Jabulile Mahlangu 1
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Obsidian Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 32
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Jabulile Mahlangu 1 »

Ettore a young boy at the age of six has found a new hobby more like a part time job to be-head fish. To his dismay he doesnt like the job , I mean who would. The beginning of the book he highlights and overates his great great grand father who died in 1843. He left behind folios addressed to him or any of his descendants about the life lived then.

He explains how he was a fugitive and a rebel and this has become helpful because he now has knowledge and history . His surname now has become filled with meaning and I think throughout the book he finds himself similar to his great great grand father. Unfortunately he died as a fugitive and rebel and thats what he was remembered for.

Josephina raised Ettore to be s young vibrant boy . Like most boy's he became slightly a little too adventurous. At his sixth birthday he became a fisherman. He got mislead one day with his friends and unfortunately was sold as a slave to Pilates. The adventure and torture begins.

The author has a narrating nature. We see the author having less dialogue and conversations between characters only to have him explain and narrate the entire book . I did not like this as it gives characters less life. The mentioning also of different people at different times without further explaining who these extended names were was also daunting. I loved the tone and how the lay out and plot aligned. I'm giving it a 2 out of 5. He could do better
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

Historical fiction, survival by the skin-of-his-teeth hero, pirates and natural disasters all make for an interesting story! "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis Is the story of Ettore and his friends who were captives of pirates and still never gave up. To find out how the author proceeds and ends this story, get this book today! Great, enticing and concise review!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ajain12 »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis is praised for its thrilling narrative and vivid descriptions, earning a perfect 5-star rating for its powerful storytelling and immersive scenes. Highly recommended for all readers.
Ram Sahni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-sahni.html
Latest Review: Orinthia by Most Everyone

Post by Ram Sahni »

Ettore’s cleverly planned escape endeavors are breath-taking and nerve-wracking. Lewis goes a step further by introducing unexpected plots and hidden agendas that make it difficult even to understand whom to trust. Congrats on #BOTD
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

The story seems full of adventure. I feel sorry for Ettore's journey, but I'm excited to read the whole book. Do you like the cover? I think it's really cool. Someone should talk about it too, it's so amazing!
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Slippery Road.
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Your review of "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis is incredibly detailed and insightful. I appreciate how you highlighted the book's engaging story and the author's skillful portrayal of life's challenges. Your description of the scenes and characters demonstrates a deep connection to the narrative. Great job!
Abid Hussain Abid
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abid-hussain-abid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Abid Hussain Abid »

This story inspires me with courage, faithfulness, and true friendship to face tough times. A man who was rugged and unordered, his energy and courage became an example for other companions. After saving their lives in the sea they were sold as slaves, and this book describes the whole story of their energy, fidelity, courage, and friendship.

The Reviewer liked this book with a five-star
rating for those who love to read about courage and friendship.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like a very interesting book. I am excited to see how Ettore and his friends get out of the sea storm and what will become of them after getting sold into slavery. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”