Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Re: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Post by Monet_va »

I really did not enjoy Mockingjay at all. I felt like the story was so different from the other two books, and really took the series down a different path.
Annony11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Annony11 »

DATo wrote: 20 May 2016, 03:29 I think Collins' first book of the series was solely targeted for a young adult readership, but as the original story began to mushroom into a cross-generational phenomena which Collins probably had not predicted her second, and more profoundly third book seem to have transitioned to a style which would appeal to a more adult readership. I think this is evidenced by the change from the primarily action driven first book to the gradual transition in the second (Catching Fire) and third book (Mockingjay) which drifted toward more emotional and psychological themes which older and perhaps more serious readers would find interesting.

I completely agree. The first two were much more YA books than the third. As Katniss matured so did the themes in the books.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I was blown away by this series, and was highly satisfied with the ending of this book. Overall, Mockingjay was very enjoyable, but I think my favorite would be the first book.
~Roxie~
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I think the book is good, just disappointing in comparison with the rest in the trilogy. It was still adventurous, just too fast-paced. I agree that it felt rushed.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Thinking back, it does feel a bit rushed. But I do like the ending. I think it tied everything up and didn't leave us hanging too much.
Jaewe2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaewe2 »

The whole mockingjay was rushed because there was so much action involved in it. The movie did not portray half of the action described in katnisses head, but catching fire is definitely my favorite because it has an even pace (wish the movie wasnt so rushed tho).
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

This is definitely one of my favorite series, but I agree that Mockingjay was my least favorite of the series. It didn’t have the suspense or the danger the first two had. I also liked the first two movies better than the last two.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

gauntrm wrote: 11 May 2016, 18:51 The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series, but Mockingjay was definitely not my favorite book in the trilogy. Long story short, the book felt rushed, like Collins just wanted to finish it. There wasn't as much suspense and the writing wasn't done as well.
I agree! I had to keep reading certain bits again to make sure that I'd actually understood it becuase it seemed to happen so fast and leave some bits out
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

I agree with most comments here. The third book felt a bit rushed. But I still enjoyed the story and you really got that high stakes ending feeling. I must say, it was sad to see some people die but I guess there has to be casualties when you're fighting to save the world right?
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Hunger games is the best fantasy world but Mocking Jay was a little off for me as compared to the prequels.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I loved Mockingjay. It felt more fast and thriller-like than rushed to me. It felt like a good ending for me.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

Of the series I feel Mockingjay was the most dynamic. For having been the third book it could have easily been lackluster, however, the author kept up with the complexities of the conflicts faced by each individual character and was true to how each character responded. Not to mention the all the twists in the book, it was hard to put down.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I agree that this was not my favorite book in the series. However, I still enjoyed reading it over all. The first half of the book seemed to drag on to me. There wasn’t much action, and it was full of more of Katniss’ introspection. Because she’d been through so much tragedy up to this point, the tone was very depressing and melancholy. The second half did pick up! The second half of the book was much more enjoyable to read and full of action and interesting plot developments. As for the ending… that would require a whole new thread to discuss LOL
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”