Review of The Baji Mantis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of The Baji Mantis

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Baji Mantis" by A. Joshua Chiatovich.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Baji Mantis by A. Joshua Chiatovich is a creative coming-of-age novel set in ancient China that features martial arts and fantasy elements. The main character, Wu Liang, is a young praying mantis who is studying to be a warrior in his village alongside his best friends. However, he has a fascination with the human world, while the rest of the mantises are terrified of humans. Wu Liang is determined to find a way to visit the human world and learn their language, as he believes that is where his parents went. Will he be able to follow his dreams, or will he give up and follow the wishes of the village and stay in line?

My favorite part of this book was that culture and martial arts were subtly explained throughout the book. Principles of martial arts were woven into the book, and I found myself learning alongside the characters. The author was quite knowledgeable about the topic and was able to share that knowledge in easy-to-understand ways. It was fascinating.

I also enjoyed the character growth that Wu Liang showed. He started the book thinking that he was already a warrior and didn't have much to learn. He soon realized that was not the case. I found that the principle of humility was thoroughly explored and could be a good lesson for young people.

Overall, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I can think of nothing I disliked about the book; I see no reason not to give it full marks. I only noticed a few minor errors; I believe that the book was professionally edited. I also thought it was engaging from start to finish. I enjoyed the themes of personal growth, exploration, and learning to discover one's own path. I think that anyone over the age of ten would be able to understand and enjoy this book; the language used was simple yet descriptive at the same time. It would be especially suited for those who are interested in Chinese culture and martial arts.

The Baji Mantis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RutvikPatel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rutvikpatel.html
Latest Review: The River of Cheese by Amanda Jane Lowles

Post by RutvikPatel »

"The Baji Mantis" is an engaging coming-of-age novel that intricately weaves martial arts principles and Chinese culture into the narrative. Wu Liang's character growth, particularly his journey towards humility, adds depth to the story. The book is well-edited and a captivating read, suitable for readers aged ten and above, especially those interested in martial arts and Chinese culture.
Mtholephi Cele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mtholephi Cele »

The only thing am failing to understand throught this review is to understand whether is this book a mythology or the true story of the Chinese culture as someone who hasn't read the book I find it hard to understand that part. but your review proves that you did read the book but I don't understand whether you read it and understood it as a true story or just a fiction of culture
Carlebastra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Carlebastra »

"The Baji Mantis by A. Joshua Chiatovich is a mesmerizing blend of martial arts mastery and spiritual depth, weaving a tapestry of discipline and enlightenment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”