Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Post by RoxieReads »

I was not exactly pleased with this installment. Honestly, I don’t even want to accept it as canon. I’ll bet that it is a much better play than it is a script!
~Roxie~
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I was so disappointed with this book. I wish I never read it. The characters did not sound like themselves and I thought the plot was dry.
lildorsey
Currently Reading: Absolutely Organize Your Family
Bookshelf Size: 1584

Post by lildorsey »

I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and I think I just kept it in my mind the whole time that it was written as a script and I had to appreciate it for what it was. While it was definitely missing some depth in the characters and storylines, I did still appreciate the trip into the world of wizards and the life of Harry Potter. It was a nice add to the series, although I definitely wished that it would have been more substantial.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

It doesn't really feel authentic, and a lot of the Harry Potter canon was ruined due to this book. A lot of people see it as a terrible story, but I feel that it is great, but not really part of the real main story.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I was excited to read this book, until I actually did. If I were rating it, it would probably be 2 of 4 stars. It was brief, but inandofiteself that isn't necessarily bad, but it just felt undeveloped. It was like someone tried to copy an author's style, a piece of fanfiction. I also didn't care for the format, but my rating wouldn't reflect that. It was written well enough and the editing was decent, it just didn't have the depth I wanted.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I didn't read Harry Potter until I was an adult because as a child my parents didn't let me. I only read the Cursed Child this year, and I still don't know if I'm sure how I feel about it. Honestly it didn't feel true to me. There was a time I never would have gone against an author's word, but I just don't believe in this story. It was like someone else was pretending to be J. K. Rowling and it went terribly wrong.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

nfdoughe wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 15:30 I didn't read Harry Potter until I was an adult because as a child my parents didn't let me. I only read the Cursed Child this year, and I still don't know if I'm sure how I feel about it. Honestly it didn't feel true to me. There was a time I never would have gone against an author's word, but I just don't believe in this story. It was like someone else was pretending to be J. K. Rowling and it went terribly wrong.
I completely agree. I truly don't see J K Rowling's style in this at all. It just didn't feel like something from the Harry Potter universe.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I agree completely that it doesn't feel authentic to the heart of Harry Potter and the universe, and that with the tropes and twists it uses, it reads more like a fanfiction!
Ci ci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ci ci »

I read Harry Potter and the cursed child several times, and every time I read it I always pick up on new things I didn't notice before. That's what makes it such a good book.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I think the story was 100% fan service, bringing back favorite characters and the like. I didn't like it one bit.

HOWEVER, apparently it is MAGICAL when you see it on stage. The production value is through the roof. And the mise-en-scène is absolutely fantastic.

I'll be able to confirm this rumors in March, when I go see it for myself.
booksandbeers
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by booksandbeers »

i read the book ages ago... and i like but the fact that was a written as a play instead of a book... didnt like it
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

I really did try and give the cursed child a fair shot, but throughout my reading of it I couldn't help but notices the books reliance on the previous works to create emotional moments, but it also wanted to stand on its own and create a new perspective of the wizarding world--fantastic beasts did this, but unlike the cursed child, I felt like they did it well there
abbyruth9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyruth9.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by abbyruth9 »

When I read The Cursed Child I flew through it in a desperate attempt to consume more Harry Potter content and I liked it as I was reading. It wasn't until after I let myself process everything once I was done that I really wasn't too happy with it. There was definitely a fan fiction feeling to it, and I didn't enjoy the gaping plot holes throughout the story line.
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

I agree, I clearly was blinded by the fact I was so excited by new Harry Potter content. It’s not a bad book, even if it’s a play, that’s not a problem for me. It just doesn’t feel like Harry Potter at all.
Nabiha 8117
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nabiha 8117 »

Harry Potter and the cursed child
The Harry Potter series have been so good so far and I have enjoyed it deeply. JK Rowling has great writing skills and I was just so overjoyed when I got Harry Potter and the cursed child but it left me very disappointed. I am not saying it is very bad and no one should read it but I just feel like J.K. Rowling just had a very good reputation in me and I felt like the book could have been better....much much better.

Personally I would give the book 2 stars out of 4 stars as the author has much more potential of writing a better book and also because the books plot line isn't the best. The thing I disliked about the book is that it doesn't make sense to true fans who have entirely understood the series till now and can't make sense of the rest.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”