Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
blacksun77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Post by blacksun77 »

it waste time.
To my view, this is s***
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

The Cursed Child definitely had its ups and downs. I absolutely loved the dynamic between Albus and Scorpius, although I feel as though the novel should have strayed away from the Voldemort storyline. Obviously He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was the main protagonist throughout the entire Harry Potter series, so it seemed like too much of a crutch the authors were leaning on rather than an actual interesting plot. While it was fantastic to re-enter the Wizarding World, I feel as though the plot should have gone in a different direction.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I am a big fan of J.K Rowling and Harry Potter Series and I am looking forward to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I am also going to watch the movie when it is released :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I have read and watched all of the Harry Potter series at least 5 times each. The cursed child book was a disappointment. I had to force myself to finish it. It's an easy read mostly, but I wasn't captivated by the story. I just couldn't connect with it. :(
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I love harry potter (book) series. I was actually excited for harry potter and the cursed child but honestly it was a huge disappointment. First of all, it shouldn’t have been a play and secondly it just didn’t come true to my expectations. It was truly a disappointment.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes, its a play. It was a sheer joy to relive moments with your favorite characters. It is not the best of the Potter series but if you are a HP lover you would like it as well.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I hated this book so much, and don't even count it as part of the story. It looks like the writers read a whole bunch of fanfiction and dumped all the running themes and trends into the script. But what really drew a hard line for me was Voldemort and Bellatrix having a kid! Are we being serious here? When on earth is the series would Bellatrix have been able to have a child? Just the pairing in general is completely ridiculous, and if I were to accept this plot point it would completely shatter my view of Lord Voldemort.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This was most definitely not what I was expecting. May be years of reading Harry Potter had left me with very high levels of expectation, which 'Cursed Child' unfortunately failed to meet. I did not really like the older versions of the golden trio- they were not relatable to their teenage selves (even if I keep in mind that people change, and change a lot!), and in the play they felt very superficial. On the other hand, the struggles of Albus to come out of his father's fame were depicted realistically and the plot twist was really good! And, um, am I the only one who finds the idea of Voldemort having a daughter with his most loyal follower revolting?
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I am halfway through reading this play, and I have to say that my interest is piqued. Rowling, in this play, explored with greater depth heavy themes such as psychological abuse, trauma and familial dynamics. I do like it, but I wish there were more details given to us about Albus's emotional psyche - which might be due to it being a play, since I am indeed more used to novels.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I enjoyed reading The Cursed Child script. I liked imagining how the stage sets and visual effects might work. So many of the transitions need to happen quickly and I'm sure that is not easy on the stage in front of a live audience. We were able to get tickets to see the play next spring. I'm really excited!
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I have not read it yet, but I have heard a lot about Harry Potter and the cursed child. To be honest I’ve heard mixed responses with some people really struggling to read the script and others enjoying it. I would really love to give it a try after I finish reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I liked it, but not as much as the rest of the Harry Potter series. It did not seem up to the standard of the other HP books.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I was really disappointed with it! I felt like all the characters were way too different than in the original books (with way more differences outside just what growing up does). None of it really made any sense. The plot felt really lazy to me and Albus wasn't a likeable character at all. Im sure its probably different seeing it live, but as a book I don't understand how Rowling ok'd it unless she's so far removed from her series now that she's forgotten everything.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I didn't do anything for me. I think it really should only be appreciated in the theatre, where I hear the special effects are amazing. It doesn't feel like part of the story, more like a fanfiction revival, where all your favorite characters are returned from the dead just so that you can see them.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I really love the idea of The Cursed Child being written in this format. I love screenplays and believe it opens a lot to the imagination. Even though it is different from the rest of the series, I appreciate the diversity.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”