Review of One Out and Won Back

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of One Out and Won Back

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Out and Won Back" by Arnold van der Vegt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jeremy and Melissa were siblings who had lost their mother at a young age. Soon after, their father, Ed, became addicted to alcohol and was almost never present as a father. Ed decided to be rehabilitated after some thought and sent them up to his brother, Jack, who lived in the countryside and bred race horses. There, Jeremy and his younger sister had their first taste of country life. Unbeknownst to them, they had also walked into a sinister plot against Jack, whom many people disliked. It gets more interesting as the kids try to fit in and solve the mystery of why anyone would target their uncle.

This book had an engrossing plot that was enhanced by the manner in which events in the story were presented. The transition from one part of the story to the next was smooth and allowed for proper comprehension. As a result, the story held my attention, and reading about the kids' activities with their uncle and the few new friends they made in their new environment never bore me.

The flawless character development was my favorite aspect of this book, One Out and Won Back. Arnold van der Vegt took the time to properly introduce and develop characters so that we could understand their motivations and goals. Jeremy and his younger sister were introduced as intelligent children, and they lived up to that reputation throughout the novel. As a result, they became an important part of solving the mystery of the bad people against their uncle. This also compacted the story as it progressed from one idea to the next, giving it that immersive effect.

The only thing I did not like about the book was that it was sometimes dialogue-driven and required a lot of explanation to be included in the dialogue, which felt unnecessary. Fortunately, it was less noticeable in the latter parts of the book. Even though that was easily overlooked, I found it unnatural. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was an incredible story with a great plot and memorable characters. The couple of errors and occasional dialogue style are not enough to detract from its perfect rating. This book would be ideal for teenagers who enjoy adventure and a little mystery.

One Out and Won Back
View: on Bookshelves
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

This book sounds very adventurous, and it's a yes read for me.
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
Thank you for your review.
This book is not one that I am going to pick up to read. Nonetheless, after reading your review, I believe that there are those that enjoy the Young Adult genre that will find it facinating.
Thanks again :)
:fridaysmiley:
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

The reviewer's critique stands out for me, appreciating both the well-written review, the rating given, and the recommendation provided. I must emphasize the quality of this piece, thoroughly enjoying the content while reading it.
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "One Out and Won Back" by Arnold van der Vegt effectively highlights the book's strengths, providing valuable insights for potential readers.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Mayang Bature wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 16:55 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Out and Won Back" by Arnold van der Vegt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jeremy and Melissa were siblings who had lost their mother at a young age. Soon after, their father, Ed, became addicted to alcohol and was almost never present as a father. Ed decided to be rehabilitated after some thought and sent them up to his brother, Jack, who lived in the countryside and bred race horses. There, Jeremy and his younger sister had their first taste of country life. Unbeknownst to them, they had also walked into a sinister plot against Jack, whom many people disliked. It gets more interesting as the kids try to fit in and solve the mystery of why anyone would target their uncle.

This book had an engrossing plot that was enhanced by the manner in which events in the story were presented. The transition from one part of the story to the next was smooth and allowed for proper comprehension. As a result, the story held my attention, and reading about the kids' activities with their uncle and the few new friends they made in their new environment never bore me.

The flawless character development was my favorite aspect of this book, One Out and Won Back. Arnold van der Vegt took the time to properly introduce and develop characters so that we could understand their motivations and goals. Jeremy and his younger sister were introduced as intelligent children, and they lived up to that reputation throughout the novel. As a result, they became an important part of solving the mystery of the bad people against their uncle. This also compacted the story as it progressed from one idea to the next, giving it that immersive effect.

The only thing I did not like about the book was that it was sometimes dialogue-driven and required a lot of explanation to be included in the dialogue, which felt unnecessary. Fortunately, it was less noticeable in the latter parts of the book. Even though that was easily overlooked, I found it unnatural. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was an incredible story with a great plot and memorable characters. The couple of errors and occasional dialogue style are not enough to detract from its perfect rating. This book would be ideal for teenagers who enjoy adventure and a little mystery.

One Out and Won Back
View: on Bookshelves
hank you for sharing your thoughts on "One Out and Won Back." Your review provides a clear perspective on the book's strengths and minor points of concern.

It's clear that you were engrossed by the book's plot and the way events were presented, which contributed to holding your attention throughout the story. The smooth transitions and the engaging portrayal of the kids' activities in their new environment, as well as their efforts to solve the mystery surrounding their uncle, were highlights for you.

Your appreciation for the flawless character development is noteworthy. It's always a positive sign when an author takes the time to introduce and develop characters effectively, allowing readers to understand their motivations and goals. Jeremy and his younger sister's intelligence and their integral role in solving the mystery added depth to the story and made it more immersive.
Stephen Pokoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

That review is really outstanding and goes above and beyond criticism. Your beautiful words create a captivating story for the book that draws readers in and makes it come to life. Your careful examination demonstrates your profound respect for the author's skill and the message the book conveys.
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is a well detailed review. I assume that Ed could be frustrated because he lost his wife. Well, I hope he make up his home.
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

This seems like a book that I would want to pick up. I am definitely putting this in my TBR.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”