Review of Peril and Splendor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review of Peril and Splendor

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peril and Splendor" by Caleb Birch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with Ramsay and his team, Leopadilo, fighting the Chimera, a beast with the head of a lion, a goat’s head on her back and a snake at the end of her tail, in Aegemald. The creature was responsible for terrorizing people in Aegemald. Ramsay is a knight and leads his team of four men, including Chase, Endo and Jonwido.

As part of the warriors’ guild, the team protects people and receives accolades for successful hunts approved by the leader of the guild. Irina, an archer, is also in charge of Team Pandeaqead, composed of Romulus, Verdan and Phinara. The city of Nashia has been enjoying relative peace until recently when dragons attacked them. The guild leader convenes a meeting to inform the people about what must happen. To stop further descent, a team of warriors must go to the heart of the dragons and kill the alpha leader. It is a treacherous journey since it involves countering ill-willed people before facing the dragons wielding immense strength, coupled with their intelligence.

I liked how the team members banded. They possessed unique abilities that were quintessential in missions. For instance, Chase could cast spells and heal his friends when injured. While Eldon was tasked with jumping and slaying the dragon, Ramsay would memorize and recite the incantation when holding the shackle orb when battling the alpha dragon. I also appreciated the willingness of the two teams, Pandeaqead and Leopadilo, to partner. It was a reminder that teamwork and sound leadership imbues success.

While Peril and Splendor by Caleb Birch is a young adult book, I felt the author should have made this novel more spellbinding. The encounters faced by the teams were challenging, but the plot was not well developed; it felt somewhat predictable. The lack of character development was also bothersome. I could hardly connect with any of the characters. Moreover, the relationship between Irina and Ramsay should have received more attention.

The negative attributes led me to dock two points and rate this book three out of five stars. I cannot rate this book lower than that, keeping in mind its primary audience. It is an easy read, as the plot is straightforward. It gives you a feeling that you are navigating the terrains along with the characters as they move from one adventure to another. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and adventure enthusiasts.

Peril and Splendor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”