Review of The Journey to Success

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Review of The Journey to Success

Post by Ams Strong »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey to Success" by Niyati Patel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Journey to Success by Niyati Patel is a book about the struggles of an Indian student named Parth in Australia, narrated by himself during an interview. While you may have a vague idea of the hurdles that international students face while settling in a new country, the story of Parth is a detailed and archetypal account of their struggles with anxiety related to visa issues, homesickness, homelessness, family and personal expectations, and a host of other reasons. Parth had left India as a poor and aspiring computer engineer in search of wealth, which he believed would lift his family out of poverty and be the source of his happiness. However, his experiences in Australia would make him view money and family differently.

I love that this story captures the realities of international students. After the nerve-wracking visa interview and paying exorbitant tuition fees, international students face the dark realities of the housing and job markets. To survive, these students often have no choice but to take menial jobs, sometimes going against their personal or family expectations, against a backdrop of mounting pressure on coursework, visa requirements, and uncertain immigration status. Some may have to use their martial arts skills to stay alive.

This book contains a few instances of profanity, including non-borderline profanity. I did not find any sexual content except for a kissing scene. A few violent scenes feature in this book, such as robbery with a weapon and stabbing.

I rate this book five stars out of five. I enjoyed the relatable characters in this book and the passionate love stories. I would have loved to read more about Parth’s struggles with studying since most of the book was about his work life. This book does not contain a cover page or preface. I consider these issues minor—not enough to change my rating. Although this story is the story of an Indian student and features many Indian cultural themes, like weddings, there is virtually no reference to Hinduism or any specific religion. For this reason, I recommend this book to readers of all major religions.

The Journey to Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Ams Strong wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 13:19 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey to Success" by Niyati Patel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Journey to Success by Niyati Patel is a book about the struggles of an Indian student named Parth in Australia, narrated by himself during an interview. While you may have a vague idea of the hurdles that international students face while settling in a new country, the story of Parth is a detailed and archetypal account of their struggles with anxiety related to visa issues, homesickness, homelessness, family and personal expectations, and a host of other reasons. Parth had left India as a poor and aspiring computer engineer in search of wealth, which he believed would lift his family out of poverty and be the source of his happiness. However, his experiences in Australia would make him view money and family differently.

I love that this story captures the realities of international students. After the nerve-wracking visa interview and paying exorbitant tuition fees, international students face the dark realities of the housing and job markets. To survive, these students often have no choice but to take menial jobs, sometimes going against their personal or family expectations, against a backdrop of mounting pressure on coursework, visa requirements, and uncertain immigration status. Some may have to use their martial arts skills to stay alive.

This book contains a few instances of profanity, including non-borderline profanity. I did not find any sexual content except for a kissing scene. A few violent scenes feature in this book, such as robbery with a weapon and stabbing.

I rate this book five stars out of five. I enjoyed the relatable characters in this book and the passionate love stories. I would have loved to read more about Parth’s struggles with studying since most of the book was about his work life. This book does not contain a cover page or preface. I consider these issues minor—not enough to change my rating. Although this story is the story of an Indian student and features many Indian cultural themes, like weddings, there is virtually no reference to Hinduism or any specific religion. For this reason, I recommend this book to readers of all major religions.

The Journey to Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "The Journey to Success" by Niyati Patel. Your review provides valuable insights into the book's portrayal of the challenges faced by international students and its overall content.

It's clear that you appreciate the book's ability to capture the real struggles that international students like Parth face when settling in a new country. Your recommendation to readers of all major religions, despite the book's Indian cultural themes, is a thoughtful addition, showing that the story's themes are universal and relatable to a wide audience.Your recommendation to readers of all major religions, despite the book's Indian cultural themes, is a thoughtful addition, showing that the story's themes are universal and relatable to a wide audience.
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

"The Journey to Success" by Niyati Patel offers a detailed and authentic portrayal of the challenges faced by international students, focusing on Parth's journey in Australia. It addresses visa issues, homesickness, financial struggles, and the harsh reality of job markets. The book includes some profanity and a few violent scenes, making it a realistic depiction of the international student experience.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”