Review of Jesse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Jesse

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jesse" by Glen Alan Burke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jesse by Glen Alan Burke is a story of a miracle and godsent gift amid all the evil in the world. It follows a touching story set in 1960s Alabama, where racism and prejudice were rampant. The novel follows Jesse Savorié, a mixed-race child born to a black man and a white woman, who endures a life marred by abuse, neglect, and racism. The author skillfully portrays children's innocence and impressionability, highlighting how adults' beliefs can influence them.

I loved how the author wrote the narrative of race in this book. Racism is not prevalent in my country, so every time I read books about racism in the U.S., it truly tears my heart apart. The scene I cried the most was when Jesse asked Matt why he had to be black and how it must be a bad thing because that’s what everyone says. Additionally, this book shows that white kids became racist because they thought it was their right to bully black people. After all, it's what they see other grownups do. It's hard to imagine that black children are bullied and threatened just because white people do not value their lives.

Overall, it was an emotional read. However, as the story leaned more on Jesse's mysterious abilities, the book became more spiritual. It would've been good to make Jesse inspiring and teach other high school kids some moral lessons, but some topics are not discussed very well. Instead of shining light on a positive aspect to serve as a lesson, the characters just became judgmental. One example was when a heavy-set kid wanted to be thinner, but instead of making him love and accept his body, Jesse just showed him how ugly people were when they got older. There are so many ways to turn that plot into something uplifting and positive, but the author just wrote judgmental characters.

I loved and hated some parts of this book. Jesse delves into complex and sensitive topics such as racism, neglect, abandonment, unwanted pregnancy, and sexual abuse, evoking strong emotions from readers. However, the missed opportunities to infuse positivity into certain themes left me conflicted. Despite these reservations, the book addresses important issues and prompts valuable discussions. With that said, I'm rating this book 3 out of 5 stars. On a technical aspect, I found more than ten grammatical errors, so I would recommend it be edited again. While the mistakes are just missing spaces between words, it still distracts me while reading.

I would recommend this novel to religious readers, as this might resonate with them more. However, potential readers should be aware of the book's treatment of certain themes that might not align with their expectations.

Jesse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

There are several novels that work with the idea of 'art for art's sake,' but this novel seemed to have required a more socially uplifting angle. I enjoyed the review. Thank you.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Mariam Alabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-alabi.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Mariam Alabi »

I think it will go a long way if authors make sure they keep positivity up to the end. Thanks for the review.
Ahmed_115
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ahmed_115 »

"Jesse" by Glen Alan Burke is a heart-wrenching and thought-provoking book that tackles racism in 1960s Alabama. The story beautifully portrays the innocence of children and the impact of prejudice on their lives. With its spiritual elements and powerful storytelling, "Jesse" is a must-read that sheds light on important social issues. Get ready to be moved and inspired by this captivating tale. 📚✨
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Your review provides a balanced and thoughtful perspective on "Jesse" by Glen Alan Burke. You do an excellent job of highlighting the book's portrayal of racism and its emotional impact. You also touch on the transition towards more spiritual elements in the story and express your reservations about missed opportunities for a more positive approach in some parts. Your feedback on grammatical errors and recommendations for religious readers provide valuable insights for potential readers. Well done!
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is indeed a compelling narrative. In my country racism doesn't prevails too. We are one irrespective of our gender, colour and background. It's very emotional book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”