Review of The Key on Edge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Review of The Key on Edge

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Key on Edge" by Michael J. Piatt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Key on Edge by Michael J. Piatt is a simple, comfortable, and wonderful read that shows us the adventurous and inquisitive lives of some ninth graders called the Sharefield gang, made up of four boys and two girls. The gang begins to experience strange and unexplainable events around them after they star in their school play. These things begin with the closing act of their school play and continue throughout their summer holiday. They ponder these strange things and try to figure out these mysteries, but how many mysteries can a group of ninth graders solve as they keep increasing? Join the Sharefield gang on the adventures and activities that pose them with answering these questionable happenings as you read this book.

There were so many things to love and appreciate about this book. At the beginning of the book, what really got me were Anthony’s puns; they were really smart and funny. I loved the picture drawings in the book; they added more fun to the book, and I believe they will be very much appreciated by young readers. I also loved how the author portrayed the Sharefield gang; their intellect was really inspiring and admirable. I appreciate how the author was able to communicate decision-making and problem-solving skills to his readers through his characters; it was very enlightening and notable. I also appreciate the discussion notes that were added at the end of the book; they were insightful and educational. Most of all, I appreciate the fact that the book was professionally edited, which made for a free reading flow.

However, I was quite disappointed towards the end of the book when I found out what the mysterious events that were happening to the children were about. I know this is the plot of the book, but it was quite disappointing. I had hoped for a better explanation. There was also an unanswered question in the book, which was the question of who dropped the stack of The Script at the warehouse on the night of the bonfire. The author did not address this in the book, which left me clueless.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I loved how suspenseful but calming the plot was. It was a really relaxing read. Although I was quite disappointed at the plot twist at the end, I understand that it was the intention of the author to convey a message that not everything is magical and mystical, as ignorance can play a huge role. I did not rate this book lower because the issues I've pointed out may not apply to every reader.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a calm read that will put them in a relaxed mode. This book will also be suitable for young adult readers and children.

The Key on Edge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”