Review of Don’t Count Me Out: I’m Still God’s Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of Don’t Count Me Out: I’m Still God’s Child

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don’t Count Me Out: I’m Still God’s Child" by Sheena Brewer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Her mother’s boyfriend, Billy, sexually abused Sheena Shelevya Brewer at the age of five. She refused to tell anyone, and it continued until she left Alabama for Gainesville to stay with her grandmother. At Gainesville, the abuse continued when her grandma’s brother visited them. Sheena enjoyed her childhood only when her neighbors came to take her away. However, her stay in Gainesville was cut short, and she was sent back to Alabama when her mother found out her grandmother was helping her with stuff like health insurance and food stamps. The sexual molestation by her mother’s numerous boyfriends continued even after her mother caught them in the act. Sheena’s mother's reaction left Sheena in shock. Get a copy of the book Don't Count Me Out: I’m Still God's Child to find out more about Sheena after that incident.

The book Don't Count Me Out: I’m Still God's Child by Sheena Brewer contains the story of the author’s childhood and youth. This book focuses on addiction, relationships, family, sex, and more. You will find out when you grab a copy. I will call this book a memoir, as the author used the first-person narration style to informally share her story. Since it is the author’s first book, I could see the drive to tell people what she faced and the solutions to overcome situations like that.

The book was not a lengthy one, which was a plus to me, unlike other memoirs I have come across. I dislike so many characters because of the atrocities they committed. The only character who didn’t add to the pain of the story was Sheena’s father, who understood her better than other family members.

There were things to dislike about this book. I don’t know if it is because she is writing for the first time, but the book was not properly edited. It was too informal to a fault. It contained different types of errors, which disrupted my reading flow. I also didn’t fancy the repeated use of the word "sex", in the book. However, I will rate this book four out of five stars, primarily for its poor editing.

I learned lessons from this book. There was truth in what she said about the Blacks. However, younger readers should be restricted from reading this book due to the sexual content contained. If you are a lover of memoirs, this will be an interesting and engaging one for you to pick.

Don’t Count Me Out: I’m Still God’s Child
View: on Bookshelves
Kirui Collins
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

Child sexual abuse is a devastating topic to talk about. Thanks for the review.
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

The title mentions 'I'm still God's child'. I'm just wondering if there are references in the book to her spiritual life? It is quite terrible what the author had to go through as a child.
Bokamoso Moleleki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bokamoso Moleleki »

I’m just wondering where is her father, did he walk out on her and her mother? And if so he could have choose to fight for his child . It’s quite a horrible thing that she had to go through as a child and the mother was supposed to protect her child but she chose not to.
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

Thank you for your honest review! It might seem weird, but I was looking for some books like this. Topics like this are always teaching the lesson. You made my search much easier!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”