Review of Love Letter To My Daughter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Molly's Milestone by Marlys Beider

Review of Love Letter To My Daughter

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Letter To My Daughter" by Shaunda-Lee Vickery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Empowering Hearts: A Tribute to My Daughter" by Shaunda-Lee Vickery emerges as a captivating literary masterpiece crafted to inspire women navigating the perilous realms of physical and mental abuse. Released at a pivotal moment, the book echoes the growing prevalence of abuse in today's society. Vickery, drawing from her own tumultuous life, reveals a poignant tale that begins with her haunting encounters with an abusive father. The narrative takes a courageous turn when Vickery's mother decisively walks away, shielding her children from further harm.

As readers traverse the emotionally charged recollections of the author, they gain insight into the heart-wrenching moments when Vickery confronted her father. Emerging from a background scarred by abuse, Vickery candidly acknowledges her vulnerability to getting entangled in abusive relationships. However, the narrative takes a positive turn when she encounters her "Mr. Perfect." Throughout the book, Vickery generously imparts advice gleaned from her trials, constructing a comprehensive list of 'red flags' that serve as crucial signposts to avoid potential abuse.

A unique and heartwarming feature of the book is Vickery's approach, which addresses readers as though they were her daughters. This personal touch establishes an immediate connection, fostering empathy and understanding from the very beginning. Motivated by a sincere concern for her audience, the author provides invaluable counsel and recommendations to women, equipping them with the knowledge to steer clear of falling victim to abuse.

However, the book is not exempt from criticism. Its exclusive focus on women as victims of abuse may be perceived as a limitation. Acknowledging that men, too, can find themselves trapped in abusive relationships would have broadened the book's relevance.

Despite these criticisms, the book merits a commendable rating of 4 out of 5 stars. The author's adept narration of her journey and authentic advice from a female standpoint render it a valuable read for women. However, the predominant emphasis on women's experiences in the narrative prompts considerations regarding its appeal and relevance for male readers.

Love Letter To My Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

The topic of this book is quite actual and I think that the author found the right historical period to publish it and have as much attention as possible. Thanks for your review.
Yasmine JP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yasmine JP »

I appreciated reading your review. I think i might purchase this book now. I saw it in passing a few times and was never sure if the chosen topic was too deep for me or not. This helped seal my decision. Thanks! :)
David Hincapie 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by David Hincapie 1 »

encontró el período histórico adecuado para publicarlo ahy q tener la mayor atención posible

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”