The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Post by dorebri2020 »

I genuinely enjoyed both, but I must say I preferred Throne of Glass. The series is fun and adventurous and Celeana is an incredible character. ACOTAR was a bit simpler and I still appreciate it, but it was missing the depth of TOG.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
valegrissom
Currently Reading: The Paper Magician
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by valegrissom »

Kcbjohn wrote: 10 May 2017, 09:53 I finished this book last night. I did enjoy it but had to give it 3.5 stars. I felt like the ending was a forced trope. I loved the characters and liked the Beauty and the Beadt retelling. I also liked the other fairy tale call backs thrown in at the end. It just didn't hit home for me. I will probably read the next one at some point but it isn't high on my list.
I felt the same way after reading ACoTaR the first time. Please go ahead and read A Court of Mist and Fury...immediately!! I know that the second book in a series is usually the weakest but ACoMaF is amazing! It not only is a wonderful book that develops both old and new characters, but you find out so much about what was going on behind the scenes in ACoTaR that it makes the first book better. I wanted to go back and re-read the first book after I finished Mist and Fury. Mist and Fury changes everything--for the better!! You won't regret it...
Kikijanika
Currently Reading: War Storm
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikijanika.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Kikijanika »

A court of thorns and roses!

My opinion might be biased, though, because I haven't finished Throne of glass series yet. I've only read the first three books and the third I actually liked. The first two I found a little boring and, to be honest, Celaena just wasn't acting like this famous assassin. I also find Dorian very boring. However, I've heard the series gets better toward the end.
-AEM-
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by -AEM- »

I have read both series and own a collectors addition of ACOTAR. Sarah J Maas is a fantastic author and every single book had me reading for days on end!
Babyshamu98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babyshamu98.html
Latest Review: Blood Red Moon by Lee Roberts

Post by Babyshamu98 »

I preferred the ToG series more, because I felt that the reader received a better understanding of the characters. I also felt that ToG had a faster pace starting in the first book, while ACoTaR took a bit of time before building up to a steady pace. I appreciated the retelling of Beauty and the Beast in such a unique way, but I simply did not get the same excitement that I got from ToG.
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I think ToG is better written and organized, but I have to go with ACOTAR. I just absolutely fell in love with all of the characters and the world that SJM built.
ladyofsith
Favorite Book: The dark artifices
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by ladyofsith »

Include spoilers. As a stan of Maas, I find difficult to pick a favourite. There are rights or wrongs in both series. Acotar was the first book that introduced me to Mass' universe. When I finished Acomaf and Acowar, I was amazed at Maas and her works. I thought I have never ever going to read more beautiful books than Acotar series. Well I was wrong. Because after finishing Acotar series I began to read Thorne Of Glass. At first, it was a book about a young fighter girl who has to do some things to gain her freedom. And I thought it was fine and if Mass had continued like that I've still kept reading. But suddenly it changed when we heard the truth of Aelin for first time. And things went crazy after that. We met Rowan which I still can't choose over him or Rhys. Well I guess I'm going to stick with Rhys :D Anyway, as the ToG kept going things went interesting. Tog has more characters than Acotar, so there are more stories to tell in ToG. For the characters, In my opinion the introduction and evolution of Tog's characters are better than Acotar. But of course I do not include Rhysand to that opinion.
So there it is, as a big fan of Maas I have lots of opinions about her series and I think Thorne Of Glass is better than A court Of Thorns And Roses.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

Unlike most fans in this topic, I actually read the A Court of Thorns and Roses series before I had even heard of Throne of Glass. I am now reading the Throne of Glass series but honestly, at the moment I still prefer ACOTAR. I just found the concept to be so interesting and I loved how Maas wrote a typical fairytale first but then completely turned it on its head in the second book. Incredible writing.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

Kcbjohn wrote: 10 May 2017, 09:53 I finished this book last night. I did enjoy it but had to give it 3.5 stars. I felt like the ending was a forced trope. I loved the characters and liked the Beauty and the Beadt retelling. I also liked the other fairy tale call backs thrown in at the end. It just didn't hit home for me. I will probably read the next one at some point but it isn't high on my list.
The first book is so-so but the second book is INSANE. Once you've read it, it will make you see everything in a different light. I would 100% reccommed.
Jessica Johnson

Post by Jessica Johnson »

I loved Throne of Glass. I was unable to out the book down.
crazymusicalgeek

Post by crazymusicalgeek »

I really enjoyed the book, and I especially liked the character development visible in our protagonist ( Feyre) and that she is not only defined by her love for Tamlin but that she has her own struggles as well.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

crazymusicalgeek wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 17:27 I really enjoyed the book, and I especially liked the character development visible in our protagonist ( Feyre) and that she is not only defined by her love for Tamlin but that she has her own struggles as well.
Have you read the rest of the series yet or just the first book? The second book is even better!
Gionadecina

Post by Gionadecina »

After reading both series ACOTAR is my absolute favorite it goes more in depth and you get to know the characters better. While still loving TOG I felt that you did not get to see what the characters do in there lives outside of war and running around with Alein. Either way I have reread both of these series multiple times and can’t get enough!
Kaitlyn2020
Currently Reading: Three Dark Crowns
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kaitlyn2020 »

I am still in the middle of reading Kingdom of Ash and have read all the books out in the ACOTAR series. Sarah J. Maas is my absolute favorite author of all time! I am in love with her books. I will read anything she ever comes out with! Although I love the Throne of Glass Series, I do have to say that ACOTAR is my favorite of the two, specifically the second book, A Court of Mist and Fury. Rhys is my favorite character!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I prefer the first book of ACOTAR more than the first book of TOG, but at the third/fourth book mark, my enjoyment of TOG skyrocketed as more characters and their struggles became more intricate and the witch kingdom emerged as a major subplot, so I'd say I like TOG more as a series.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”