The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Re: The Court of Thorns and Roses vs Throne of Glass?

Post by Julie-p »

I completely agree that the characters in Throne of Glass show way more development than the ones in ACOTAR. Also, Celaena is one of my favorite protagonists, and her development was amazing. It was so gradual and subtle that by the end of the last book she is a completely different person, and you only realize it when looking back at the first one. Another incredible thing about Throne of Glass is the Rowan and Aelin relationship, I really like how it was written.
Enjoyed both series, but I have to say Throne of Glass is my favorite.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I'm currently on the second book in the Throne of Glass series and while I'm really enjoying it (Maas is a genius) I still think I preferred ACOTAR. However, that might be because it was my first series of hers and I've read all of the books. Once I've read more of TOG I may change my tune!
Mireliza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mireliza »

I love them both! I personally like the Throne of Glass series more, but only by a sliver.

On one side, ACOTAR has incredible characters that you can't help relating to and falling in love with. Every single character is flawed which is good because no one can be perfect. While this series is one of my favorites, after rereading it I noticed that while I love the whole "under the mountain" idea from the first book, the rest of the series seems as though the author changed her mind about the vibe of the book once she started the second and third books. This is definitely the number one series I wish I could reread for the first time, and fall in love with it all over again. While still enjoyable, it's difficult sometimes to reread.

In the Throne of Glass series, however, I adore the storyline a lot more. Here there are a lot more books, which gives room for more plot development that goes right along with the character development. Its themes of love, trust, redemption, and family (just to name a few) went a long way with the characters portrayed in this series, dealing with problems that allow all of us to relate and sympathize, even if we have never been in anywhere close to the same situation. This series is a lot easier for me to reread more enjoyably

The final thing I want to say is that in both series, I enjoy that the protagonists fall in love multiple times, and weren't afraid to take their own space and figure out their decisions without the help of the other influences in their lives, which really helps empower the reader, giving hope and reflection on our own lives as well.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Definitely A court of thorns and roses.
Ashtyn reveiwer
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashtyn reveiwer »

I don’t know which one I like more.
Throne of glass was the first book I read for s.j.m, and I absolutely LOVED it. The characters and plot where on point, and I think Sarah did an amazing job in creating twists. Especially in EOS. I’m sorry give me a minute.
Ok. I’m ok. Too soon.
Anygays, ACOTAR was also such a good read in my opinion and I finished the first 2 books with 3 days, however book number 3 was a little too slow then too fast, and on parts I wanted to read more about, it wasn’t really elaborated on, which I found slightly disappointing, but i still loved it.
I like the beauty and the beast trope, and I especially like how s.j.m could have made it a love triangle, like in TOG (which, he’s created drama, but for me it almost overtook the storyline, and I found myself rooting for Aelin and Chaol more then her getting her freadom) but she didn’t, she made Freya leave Tamlin. I did in all honesty get a little feisty when Elain and Nesta got dunked into the caldron and became powerful, because I really wanted Freya to be unique, and to step out of the shadows of her sisters. Although, at least Freya could stay with them forever, which is noice, although I personally, would have ditched my sisters as soon as a big bad wolf man bashed down my door and took me away.

But, yeah, it’s hard to choose between the two of them. They both had flaws, and both where amazing.
Carolyn1854
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolyn1854.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Carolyn1854 »

I did not like ToG series. I stopped reading after the fourth book.
But I lOVED The Court of Thrones and Roses series. My favourite characters are Freye and Rhysand.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

Okay, choosing between these two series is like picking children. If I'm not going to beat around the bush, I guess I do prefer the Throne of Glass series, but that doesn't diminish my love for ACOTAR at all! Both series are my absolute favorites, I just feel like I've gotten to spend more time in TOG because there's more books and a greater build up of anticipation while waiting for the next book to come out each year. There's just more room to love the characters and build up the complexity of the plot with a 7 book series plus a novella bindup, but SJM did the absolute best possible with the ACOTAR trilogy in making us attached to the characters and guessing at the plot. I should also mention that Rhysand is my all-time favorite character, though Aelin is a close second. I could talk about the differences and similarities of these two series for hours without stop, not to mention why both these series are incredible on their own, but at the end of the day I love both TOG and ACOTAR and I don't think they have to compete with each other to be considered favorites of mine and favorites of the YA genre in general.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I prefer Throne of Glass. I enjoyed Celaena Sardothian's growth and development more so than Feyre's. I've read her new release, House of Earth and Blood. You can always tell when Maas is writing a book. One similarity I've noticed is that the romances are never with the fist male lead.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eunice Geres »

I haven't read the Throne of Glass series because it's just too many. A court of thorns and roses, on the other hand, is just an entertaining book. It's not really that good but it's also not bad. I loved some of the characters and I loved how feminist they are.
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

I love both ACOTAR and TOG. But I have to acknowledge the fact that I can never ever love a character like I love Rhys. I love ACOTAR for its Beauty and the Beast vibes and how the various characters evolve throughout the series. Coming to TOG, I love this book for its never ending, mysterious and complex plots that are somehow linked to one another. I still surprises on how much thought Sarah must have put into this story to develop such a complex yet powerful plot.
sraby1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sraby1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by sraby1 »

I enjoyed both series and am currently re-reading Throne of Glass. I preferred A Court of Thorns and Roses myself, though that may have been because I read it first.
sansaloni932
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sansaloni932.html
Latest Review: Valoria by Tayma Tameem

Post by sansaloni932 »

Choosing between them is, at least for me, almost impossible.
On the one hand, I read first ACOTAR series, the first book was not as good as the others for me, because I couldn't relate that much with Feyre. However, the other two books had more action and a better development. And I enjoyed them.
On the other hand, ToG is a longer series, think that I like. I think that being longer given more space for developt the characters, the places, etc.. At the same time, you are able to read the story from different points of view, making it more real.
Both stories show characters with different background, these backgrounds influence in how the story is flowing and their personal decisions. For that I think that both deserve to be read.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Well I am not sure it is a fair comparison between them, considering that the throne of glass series is finished and we have seen the whole journey of Calaena but in the court of thorns and roses series we are barely in the middle of the series. We have no idea what turn the storyline of Feyre may take. But if I had to choose as the tings are now I would say that Calaena seamed way more interesting to me than Feyre, so I would choose the Throne of Glass series.
barker14

Post by barker14 »

I prefer ACOTAR to TOG despite reading TOG first. I adore both books, but following feyre’s perspective made me feel more immersed in the story!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

One thing that I hadn't noticed before that I'm noticing now is that one similarity between the two books is her main characters aren't going to end up with the original person she pairs them with!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”