Review of Everything That Was

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review of Everything That Was

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everything That Was" by K.R. Hansen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There are stories that touch your heart and you wish would not end. These stories are ones that will forever be in your mind and you know that one day you’ll read again. I have been lucky to have found one of those books in the young adult novel, Everything That Was by K.R. Hansen.

High school senior, Prudence Spellmeyer, has experienced something that not many can relate to in her small town. She has had the devastating experience of losing her loving, caring, and beautiful big brother. Through one terrible incident, her family and the relationships with her peers have been irrevocably changed.

Though seemingly impossible to see her brother, Davis, again, Pru begins to have dreams of him. Dreams that seem too real to be unreal. Through her creative outlet, her art journal, Pru begins to draw what she sees. Even with her loss and grief, Pru needs to deal with the idea of failing a subject in school. On top of dealing with this very-real potential of not graduating, her dreams take a dark turn, and Pru realizes that she needs the help from the one person that she’s sworn to never forgive. Her brother’s best friend, Steve, who was there when Davis’s death occurred. Can Steve help Pru through these dark times? Will she be able to interrupt her dreams of Davis in a way that makes sense?

The author does an amazing job in creating such a lovely and captivating novel. Not only is the teenage voice of Pru mature enough that even adults would enjoy reading her story, but the way the author describes each scene is as meticulous and careful as if this book is the author’s art journal. From scenes of teenage rivalries to grieving scenes, to even the almost horror-like visions Pru has in her dreams, I could picture every single moment with ease and eagerness. The dream scenes added a touch of magical realism to the already enticing plot.

Strong themes of loss, grief, suicide, bullying, trust, healing, family, and friendship expertly intertwine with each other throughout this novel. I lost a sister ten years ago this past October, and I can remember how devastating it was for me. In other words, to read about Pru’s pain and grief was relatable to me and will be to many individuals.

To point out an improvement that can be made here is quite challenging. With the story itself, I did not find a way the author could improve. There were a handful of errors in this 200+ page book, so perhaps this can be improved. However, these minor errors did not diminish my enjoyment of this novel.

Words simply cannot describe how much I loved this book! I was truly sad that it was over and wished there was more. The storytelling was impeccable, captivating, and well-thought-out. Even with the minor errors, Everything That Was by K.R. Hansen undoubtedly deserves 5 out of 5 stars.

Due to its strong themes, including discussion of suicide and familial loss, some profanity, and one scene of inappropriate groping, I would recommend this novel to an older audience. Older teenagers, young adults, and the adult figures in their lives would benefit from reading Everything That Was. Those who lived through and still enjoy the 80s might also enjoy the references to that era that are sprinkled throughout the text. I truly enjoyed this read so much that I am looking forward to reading more books written by K.R. Hansen!

Everything That Was
View: on Bookshelves
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
shaoo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shaoo »

The review was incredible!
I would change nothing about this book because of the oral expressions of this expressive novel.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review is very helpful and comprehensive. It provides a detailed analysis of the book's strengths, including the captivating storytelling and relatable themes of loss and grief. The reviewer also appreciates the author's descriptive writing style and the incorporation of magical realism. While minor errors are mentioned, they do not diminish the overall enjoyment of the novel. The review ends by highly recommending the book to older teenagers, young adults, and adults, highlighting its relevance and potential appeal to those who experienced the 80s. This review is likely to motivate readers to purchase the book and suggests that it would be a valuable addition to anyone's library.
Zackayo wasike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zackayo wasike »

his review is very helpful and comprehensive. It provides a detailed analysis of the book's strengths, including the captivating storytelling and relatable themes of loss and grief. The reviewer also appreciates the author's descriptive writing style and the incorporation of magical realism. While minor errors are mentioned, they do not diminish the overall enjoyment of the novel.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt and positive review of "Everything That Was" by K.R. Hansen. Your detailed and personal insights into the novel offer a profound understanding of its impact and resonate with readers who have experienced similar emotions.
Ruth Chege 2
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-chege-2.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Ruth Chege 2 »

The book is full of sensitive themes like family loss and grief. It's sad how deeply I resonate with this novel, and I'd love to read how Pru coped with the loss.
Amira M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amira-m-1.html
Latest Review: The Beloved by Banks Hudson

Post by Amira M 1 »

Your incredible review shows just how much the book impacted you and makes me want to read the book even more.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review for "Everything That Was" by K.R. Hansen is very positive, describing the book as a captivating and well-thought-out novel. The reviewer praises the author's ability to create relatable characters and scenes, including the use of magical realism in the dream sequences. Despite a few minor errors, the reviewer thoroughly enjoyed the book and rates it 5 out of 5 stars. The reviewer recommends the novel to an older audience due to its themes of loss, suicide, and profanity. Overall, it appears that "Everything That Was" is a good read, worth checking out for those who enjoy emotional and well-crafted stories.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”