Review of After The Last Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Art of Being Difficult by William Chekhov

Review of After The Last Fall

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "After The Last Fall" by Amy Babiarz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"After the Last Fall" by Amy Babiarz is a captivating fantasy novel that follows the protagonist, Jace Grimme, as she embarks on a quest to find her missing sister, Aleca. Along the way, she encounters different lands, cultures, and dangers, as well as a mysterious woman named Willow, who changes her life. Jace’s mission is both challenging and enlightening, pushing her boundaries and reshaping her understanding of the world around her.

The book has many strengths, such as its diverse and complex cast of characters, all of whom have unique ideologies and histories that contribute to the compelling story and world-building. The book also stands out for its representation of LGBTQ+ characters and relationships. It beautifully portrays the process of self-discovery and growth and celebrates diversity and identity. It’s a great read for those looking for representation in fantasy literature.

Another aspect I truly appreciated was the strong bonds between the women in the story. Their relationships, filled with warmth, affection, tension, and worry, add an emotional layer to the story and contribute to the overall depth of the characters and their journeys. These bonds serve as a source of emotional support for the characters, allowing them to navigate difficult situations.

However, the book has one major shortcoming. In my opinion, the ending felt rushed. The plot is wrapped up in a few pages, and the ending left me wanting more drama, details, and time to process what had happened. Given the situation's complexity and high stakes, the resolution seemed overly quick and simplistic. The story would have benefited from a more comprehensive exploration of the characters' final circumstances to deliver a more satisfying ending. Additionally, the book contained some minor spelling and grammar errors, which did not detract from the story but could have been avoided with more editing.

Despite its minor flaws, "After the Last Fall" is an enjoyable and entertaining read. The book excels in its focus on character development and relationships, which add depth and emotional resonance to the story. While the book is not without its imperfections, particularly in the resolution of the major conflict, it is still a worthwhile read for fans of the genre. I would give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, deducting one star for my issues with the ending.

After The Last Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

You have included all the positive and negative aspects of the book in this review flawlessly. I truly appreciate that. I'm considering your recommendation and I'm adding this to my reading list. Thank you.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Zanne Crystle wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 15:57 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "After The Last Fall" by Amy Babiarz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"After the Last Fall" by Amy Babiarz is a captivating fantasy novel that follows the protagonist, Jace Grimme, as she embarks on a quest to find her missing sister, Aleca. Along the way, she encounters different lands, cultures, and dangers, as well as a mysterious woman named Willow, who changes her life. Jace’s mission is both challenging and enlightening, pushing her boundaries and reshaping her understanding of the world around her.

The book has many strengths, such as its diverse and complex cast of characters, all of whom have unique ideologies and histories that contribute to the compelling story and world-building. The book also stands out for its representation of LGBTQ+ characters and relationships. It beautifully portrays the process of self-discovery and growth and celebrates diversity and identity. It’s a great read for those looking for representation in fantasy literature.

Another aspect I truly appreciated was the strong bonds between the women in the story. Their relationships, filled with warmth, affection, tension, and worry, add an emotional layer to the story and contribute to the overall depth of the characters and their journeys. These bonds serve as a source of emotional support for the characters, allowing them to navigate difficult situations.

However, the book has one major shortcoming. In my opinion, the ending felt rushed. The plot is wrapped up in a few pages, and the ending left me wanting more drama, details, and time to process what had happened. Given the situation's complexity and high stakes, the resolution seemed overly quick and simplistic. The story would have benefited from a more comprehensive exploration of the characters' final circumstances to deliver a more satisfying ending. Additionally, the book contained some minor spelling and grammar errors, which did not detract from the story but could have been avoided with more editing.

Despite its minor flaws, "After the Last Fall" is an enjoyable and entertaining read. The book excels in its focus on character development and relationships, which add depth and emotional resonance to the story. While the book is not without its imperfections, particularly in the resolution of the major conflict, it is still a worthwhile read for fans of the genre. I would give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, deducting one star for my issues with the ending.

After The Last Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hi, Zanne, I enjoyed reading your thorough and concise review of this book. I hope the author takes your comments into account so that the book can get a rating of 5 stars. I also do not like abrupt endings. This author must receive credit for creating characters that are diverse and inclusive. This is good for society because it gives readers from diverse backgrounds characters they can identify with while allowing non-diverse people to get to know and feel comfortable with diverse characters. It is also heartwarming to know that strong and caring bonds between women are emphasized. :techie-studyinggray:
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review for "After the Last Fall" by Amy Babiarz provides insightful details about the captivating fantasy novel. It praises the diverse cast, LGBTQ+ representation, and the strong bonds between female characters. However, it does note that the ending felt rushed and lacking in detail. Despite this, the review overall recommends the book as an enjoyable and entertaining read for fans of the genre.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The diverse cast of characters, their strong bonds, and the celebration of LGBTQ+ representation in a fantasy setting have me eager to explore this captivating world. Your mention of the emotional depth in the relationships adds a unique layer that I'm always on the lookout for in a good read. While I appreciate your honest critique about the ending, the overall focus on character development and relationships assures me it's still a must-read. Thanks for the heads-up, and I can't wait to embark on Jace's quest.
Collins Kiptoo 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Collins Kiptoo 3 »

The diverse cast of characters, their strong bonds,and the celebration of LGBTQ+ representation in fantasy setting have me eager to explore this captivating world.Your mention of the emotional depth in the relationship adds a unique layer that I'm always on the lookout for in a good read.while I appreciate your honest critique about the ending, the overall focus on character development and relationship assures me it's still a must-read.Thanks for the head-up,and I can't wait to embark on Jace's quest.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”