Official Review: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody by AA Freda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Official Review: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody by AA Freda

Post by Vickie Noel »

This book sure borders on deep themes, targeted specifically for teens, but with ample information for those outside that age bracket. I usually prefer my YA to be fantasy and light-hearted, but I do have a teenager sister to whom this book would be beneficial. Will check it out for her sake, thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

Great job on the review, though I don't think this book is for me. I do think that YA novels with realistic life lessons built into the story have a lot to offer teen readers and I hope this book ultimately reaches its target audience.
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout Finch
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your point that Spike should have been the narrator since it was mostly his story. I'm glad that you liked the book overall though. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Joey and Spike are Italian immigrants in the Bronx. As part of a street gang, the pair of cousins find themselves in some very grown up situations. The graphic content definitely make this unappealing to me but it does sound like a realistic interpretation of some of the hardships teenagers face these days.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. While it does not sound like the kind of stories I usually read, many readers will surely be able to empathize with the protagonist and his harsh background in the Bronx. In addition, it seems that this book touches on many important issues with which teens will feel identified, without mentioning the number and variety of characters from different cultural backgrounds.
jgrimshaw
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgrimshaw.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by jgrimshaw »

I was really getting into the idea of reading this book until you said that there are graphic sex scenes and one girl allows herself to get gang-banged. I'm not into sex scenes in books in general, but I especially hate sex scenes with kids. Otherwise, the book sounds good and you wrote a good review, I just don't think I'll be reading it.
"Meow meow." - My cats :animals-cat:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The issues of violence, physical abuse, sex, religion, and bullies all sound realistic to the lives of teens, Joey and Spike, growing up in the Bronx. The diversity of people from different countries, with different beliefs, reflect the neighborhood that they grew up in and of America as a whole.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

An important aspect of my job as an educator is relating to teenagers and assisting them to develop to their fullest potential. Understanding some of their obsessions, pains, and fears would make me better equipped to counsel them when needed. Thus the plot and characters of this book are quite appealing to me and I look forward to reading it.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Thanks for your elaborate review. You did a good job. It's nice this book is realistic and has many important matters for teenagers. Good, this novel contains many vivid characters like Hispanic, African American, Italian, etc. The negatives of this novel seem graphic sex scenes and language. However, this novel is meant for older teenagers, and it includes many life lessons. Congrats to the author!
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

This is not a book for me. I don’t approve of all of the sex, especially between teenagers. I understand they do it, but I never did and I’m in my early twenties. Thank you for the option of reading.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I would not have skipped right past this book bases on It's title, or assumes it was for a younger reader. Despite being YA fiction, it sounds like it explores some pretty adult themes in a raw and gritty way. I am interested to see what this book has to offer, thanks to the review.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Interesting to hear that this book is inspirational and that these characters learn from mistakes. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interestingly, what drew me in was the realistic nature, but sounds like the physical intimate scenes are too graphic to me. But I would like to sample this read out. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Not everyday that I come across a contemporary Young Adult novel that is so candid about a lot of issues that teens in cities face today. I definitely agree with your warning that the book is not for the faint of heart though, based on some of the topics. Despite the flaws you described, I'm curious, especially about what this "Rudy Cazoody" is, even if it wasn't too interesting to the plot! A sign of a great review, nice job :)
plutonian_grade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plutonian-grade.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by plutonian_grade »

Great review! From the sample, I thought it had something to do with demonic possession. Lol

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”