The Places I've Cried in Public by Holly Bourne: A review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Toledo Número Tres
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The girl who knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toledo-n-mero-tres.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

The Places I've Cried in Public by Holly Bourne: A review

Post by Toledo Número Tres »

"Girls cry on park benches. Girls cry in train station waiting-rooms. They cry on the dance floor of clubs. Girls cry at the bus stop. Girls cry at the back of lessons. They sit on the pavement and cry on cold concrete at two a.m., their shoes held in their hands. Girls cry in school bathrooms. Girls cry on bridges. They cry on the stairs of house parties."

Holly Bourne's "The Places I've Cried in Public" isn't just a book; it's a visceral, gut-wrenching experience that leaves you breathless, shattered, and profoundly changed. From the first page to the last, Bourne takes readers on an emotional rollercoaster through the depths of human pain and resilience.

This novel isn't afraid to confront the darkest corners of the human psyche, where heartbreak resides like a shadow, haunting every thought and action. Through the eyes of protagonist Amelie, we witness the unraveling of a seemingly perfect relationship, dissecting the emotional scars left behind with surgical precision.

What makes "The Places I've Cried in Public" truly exceptional is its unflinching honesty. Bourne lays bare the messy, tangled emotions of heartbreak—the confusion, the anger, the despair—in a way that feels achingly real. With each page, I found myself drawn deeper into Amelie's world, feeling her pain as if it were my own.

But amidst the darkness, there are moments of breathtaking beauty. Bourne's prose is lyrical and haunting, weaving a tapestry of emotions that linger long after the final page is turned. Through Amelie's journey of self-discovery, we learn that healing isn't always linear, and that sometimes, the places where we've cried the most are also the places where we find the strength to rise again.

As I read "The Places I've Cried in Public," I couldn't help but reflect on my own experiences with heartache and loss. Bourne's novel serves as a mirror, reflecting back the raw, unfiltered emotions that we often keep hidden from the world. It's a reminder that we're not alone in our pain, and that there's beauty to be found in our brokenness.

In the end, "The Places I've Cried in Public" is more than just a novel—it's a cathartic journey through the tangled messiness of love and loss. It's a reminder that even in our darkest moments, there is hope, and that through our pain, we can find the strength to rebuild ourselves anew. Holly Bourne has crafted a masterpiece of emotion, one that will resonate with readers long after they've closed the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”