Review of Miss Pettigrew's Summer School for Exceptional Magical Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Evergreen by Sharon Elliott

Review of Miss Pettigrew's Summer School for Exceptional Magical Children

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miss Pettigrew's Summer School for Exceptional Magical Children" by Pn garlick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe magic should be rational or follow your instincts? What if you could not control it? Sometimes, magicians who follow their instincts could be a danger to others; after all, magic should always be done responsibly and with control.

Alma is a young magician who has been having problems controlling her magic. This has caused her to spend her summer at Miss Pettigrew’s school, hoping the teachers there can help her control her magic, or she’ll have to go and live on a magic-free island. But Miss Pettigrew’s school has been having some problems; a prankster has been altering the artifacts and almost injuring the students. After noticing these troubling incidents, Miss Pettigrew recruits Alma’s help. Read Miss Pettigrew’s Summer School for Exceptional Magical Children by P.N. Garlick to discover if Alma will learn how to control her magic and who the prankster is.

Something I love about young adults or children’s books is that they always teach a lesson while entertaining. This is a book about discovering your worth, believing in yourself, and overcoming obstacles. Alma is a character I adored; she was funny, clever, and strong. She grew immensely during the summer she spent with Miss Pettigrew, and it was exciting watching her start to trust in her abilities. I also enjoyed reading about her relationship with her family and Fireball, the dragon. The author did an incredible job describing the characters, the events, and the construction of relationships between Alma and the rest of the characters. I was able to imagine I was a young magician spending my summer perfecting my skills.

There is nothing negative I can say about the book. If it were up to me, I would have added some illustrations, but older children (12 and up) might feel that illustrations are too boring for them. The book is exceptionally well edited, completely free from errors, and a masterpiece. That is why I am pleased to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to children twelve and up, their parents, and teachers struggling with their students.

Miss Pettigrew's Summer School for Exceptional Magical Children
View: on Bookshelves
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

This book looks to be a "Harry Potter" style book, good for readers that like this kind of genre. Thanks for your review.
Sheryl Brown 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sheryl Brown 3 »

This is an exceptionally well-written review based on the artstyle i agree with your take on the illustrations may not be interesting to a particular audience.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”