Review of Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms, Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Review of Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms, Book 1

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms, Book 1" by E. J. Matter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms, Book 1 by E. J. Matter is a romantic fantasy that follows Ellery as she straddles two worlds: ours and a magical one. Ellery has always had to go through life alone since she was an orphan. She’s made peace with this and is getting by as a college student. However, she’s been having recurring vivid dreams of a different world and a handsome blond stranger. Every time she tries to explore further, she wakes up. She decides to write down her dreams in the hopes of making better sense of them. After falling asleep while writing, she wakes up to find herself smack dab inside the world of her dreams—and later on, in the arms of the handsome stranger—where danger, prophecies, and fate exist. What do these all mean for Ellery?

I enjoyed this book. I loved the instant connection between Ellery and Alexei. It makes you believe in fate, destined love, and soulmates. The romance in Lost Magic is whimsical and reminiscent of old fairytales, where true love’s kiss conquers all, which is even more appealing because most recent fantasy novel tropes are of independent girl bosses who don’t need love.

However, there were a few negatives. While I enjoyed the beginning introducing Ellery and her dreams, the plot was a bit slow and drawn out in the middle: when she got to Westrim and was trying to figure out her role in everything happening there. It was enough to lose my interest. The plot only picked up again towards the end and epilogue. Another issue I had was that one of the characters got shot in the magical land, which threw me off because the setting of Westrim was medieval, where swords were used.

Considering my likes and dislikes, I’ll rate Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star because of the issues I mentioned above. Fans of romantic fantasies will enjoy this one.

Lost Magic: The Fated Kingdoms, Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”