Review of I'll Always Be With You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Review of I'll Always Be With You

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'll Always Be With You" by Violetta Armour.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When tragedy strikes Mary's young family, leaving her feeling distraught and lost, she must pick up the pieces of what is left and move on to provide a better life for her children, especially Teddy. The events of that tragic night can't go away, but Mary can choose what she will do next, sure or unsure of that decision. Will Teddy forgive this decision of hers? Who is Rosetta, and how does she fit into this new normal? Written by Violetta Armour, I'll Always Be with You is a fictional work told from three unique perspectives and divided into three parts. The themes of loss, love, family, hope, and grief reverberate through every page, and readers are taken on a lovely journey where life-changing moments will intertwine these characters even more. 

There was so much I enjoyed about this book. The author's writing style was easy to read and understand. The diction and word choices were simple, making it easy for readers to concentrate on the storyline and the characters. The characters were just amazing. Despite there being quite a few of them, I saw major development in all the characters through the progression of the book, but mostly I had my eyes out for Teddy. Because of the events surrounding the tragedy and his age, I expected him to handle things differently. For the most part, I found his reactions relatable and valid. But the way he moves on and grows, being tender and loving with his family and friends, especially when he buys his mom flowers and a card, surpassed my expectations. Mary was outstanding, too. And easily relatable.

I loved the words of wisdom Teddy read out from the "Book of Life" and how they always seemed relevant to the situation at hand. The community style of living was also warm to experience. The book wasn't without its thrilling moments, too. There were moments where I was left shocked by the turn of events and places I couldn't help laughing over. The gist of forbidden love and unfulfilled desires left me in angst for those involved. Yet another small representation of large-scale racial segregation that went on in the USA, where societal opinions on interracial marriages caused sorrow among lovers. 

The only issue I found reading was that the subheadings in Part 2 were not highlighted in the 'contents' section. I would have loved it if they were highlighted just like other parts because it would have aided in navigating that part better, especially when I had to go back and reread a place I particularly enjoyed. Beyond this, I have only praise.

My takeaway from this book is that everything in life happens for a reason. It may not be part of our plan, but we must take comfort in the fact that we can choose to make good out of a bad situation. With so few errors, I can say that this book was professionally edited. And in light of all the reasons I have mentioned above for why I enjoyed this book, I'm giving it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. This book will be a special read for anyone dealing with grief or experiencing a bad phase in life. I trust it'll help lift your spirits. 

I'll Always Be With You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”