Review of The Inheritance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad

Review of The Inheritance

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inheritance" by Donna Sundblad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad is a Christian young adult book. Jejune had been deemed a troublemaker in his home of lofty thoughts. That is why, when he had come of age, Jejune became a Seeker, seeking the Eternal City, and became its citizen. Together with his alter ego, Wigglewot, Jejune traversed the Narrow Way, the same road his parents walked long ago to find the Eternal City. Jejune would soon learn that seeking the Eternal City was not all fun and games. Even though some wish to help him, such as Heavenly, Understanding, and Prudence, many would try to stop him, such as Worldly, the Dart of Distraction, the Busybodies, and the King of the Valley. But Jejune would be the one who hindered himself the most—his weaknesses, his pride, and his condition. Will Jejune succeed in reaching the Eternal City? Would he be able to make the right choices along the way?

What I liked the most about this book was the story. As a Christian, this book’s story touched me very deeply. The story about heaven and how to reach it was something that was told to me at a very young age. This book solidified my belief that the way to heaven, though very difficult and narrow, was actually pretty straightforward. But we tend to be like Jejune and get distracted by everything worldly around us. The way the author conveyed the message in this book was very beautiful.

I also liked the way the characters were named in this book. Their names describe their characteristics. For example, Jejune means naïve, innocent, and somewhat superficial. This was shown in the book about how Jejune thought it would be easy to find the Eternal City, but the moment he got into trouble, he kept thinking of going back to Lofty Thought, and it felt that his dedication to finding the Eternal City was very shallow. That was why reading how he grows throughout the book became a highlight. As for my favorite character, that would be Penury. She started as a damsel in distress, then grew to become an annoying nuisance, but in the end, she became a very wise person. Her growth was one of my favorite parts of this book.

I had nothing to dislike about this book. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I reduced a star because I found quite a few errors and typos. I say this book could use another round of editing. I didn’t deduct any more stars because this was a book worth reading, even with all the errors. A story about Heaven and the path that leads there needed to be read by all who believed in it.

I recommend this book to readers who like stories filled with adventures and growth. I also recommend this book to readers of every religion. Christian readers may understand the message more, but others could still enjoy the beautiful story written by the author. Young adults would also benefit from reading this book because it could serve as a manual so that they could be reminded of what actually matters in their lives.

The Inheritance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by williams Emerald »

“The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad sounds like a captivating journey filled with spiritual depth and growth. Your reflection on its themes of perseverance and the distractions of the worldly resonate deeply. Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review, it definitely piqued my interest!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”