Has recent dystopian fiction prepared students to speak out?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Has recent dystopian fiction prepared students to speak out?

Post by Nisha Ward »

sevencrows wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 06:16 I believe lot of the books I read did shape my interests in politics. However, it's worth noting that dystopian books often oversimplify complex issues and are read more for entertainment than for enlightenment, and they're only a basic stepping stone if at all.
Agreed, somewhat. I do think these books encourage younger folks, particularly girls, to stand up, but they do so in a vague way, since publishing companies seem to prioritise romance over substance a lot. They're a stepping stone that can lead to political resistance but they're not the sole cause.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

This is a very interesting question. I think if anything, newer dystopian books are a way for students to relate and contextualize their struggles and experiences with oppression. Relating to these characters can definitely help a young person develop an inner voice that strengthens them to stand up for themselves, others, and what is right.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”