Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

Heathernross26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =9179">Red Queen</a>
Currently Reading: James and the Giant Peach
Bookshelf Size: 213

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by Heathernross26 »

I may be one of the few who just didnt think the book was very good. In my mind, Hannah came off a little selfish. I guess every one has different depression triggers and to me what she went through wasnt that bad to commit suicide over. Personally, I have been through way worse things in my life and to consider suicide it would have to be something major and forever life altering. Maybe I just couldnt see what was so bad that she felt suicide the only way out. I was waiting for a grand reveal at the end of the book to help me understand but I didn't see it.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I haven't read the book yet but I watched the series on Netflix. This is a really intense story. I get why Hannah felt like she had to kill herself because according to her, no one seemed to care for her or that she caused misery to people who got close to her so she thought that by dying she would be relieving those close to her but I think she should have stuck it out a little longer and maybe told her parents about the rape. I'm positive they would have believed her and would have done everything in their power to help her. Despite what they were going through at the moment, had Hannah asked her parents for help, they would have listened to her because they honestly cared for her. Suicide is never the answer. Needless to say bullying still exists and we should try harder to stop it.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I think being older we can forget how intense being a teenager is and how things affect us differently. Maybe Hannah felt it was the only way out. She did try to ask for help though but was made to feel she'd bought it on herself.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I read the book to see what the big deal was, honestly I don't really have a comment on it. It isn't really something I would read.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

Okay, I am going to be brutally honest about this book. I felt like Hannah did not have strong reasons to commit suicide. Also, there were people who wanted to help her, but she does not open up to them. They can t read her mind and know whats going on in her life, she had to speak up and she didn't! She completely pushed that boy away who liked her (forgot his name) and he wanted to help, but he didn't want to bother her if she wanted to be alone. And to be honest, she let that boy rape her. I don't care how depressed I am, if a boy tries to sexually harass me, I WILL BREAK YOUR NECK.
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

The book definitely conveyed how every small action you make and the words that you say, or don't say, can affect someone's life. However, what I disliked about this book was the negativity behind Hannah's recordings. I know that she went through a lot and she believed that her only option was suicide, but what I hate is the idea of the recordings. It's a way for Hannah to pass all the negativity in her life to the people she blamed for her decision, the people she wanted to hurt just like they hurt her. Rather than passing on peacefully, she left a lengthy suicide note with the intention to make the people mentioned feel guilty.

I understand that a lot of people feel emotionally connected to the book and Hannah's struggles and I'm not trying to undermine that. I would just like to express a thought that popped into my head while reading the book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
anniep311
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anniep311 »

I personally am a huge fan of this book and believe it should be a book that every teen should read when growing up. I believe that the writing style is perfect for young readers and portrays multiple very important messages. I recommend this book to everyone of all ages and genders.
Stephanie114
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The House on Mango Street
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Stephanie114 »

So, I recently just finished this book, and it was really an eye-opener. It made my stomach twist to see what Hannah had to go through all of her high school career, and my heart goes out to Clay and the emotional roller coaster he goes through while listening to her tapes. I love this book, but it got a little dull (?) at times because it was almost like reading diary entries, truly. BUT, YES IT DOES GET THE POINT ACROSS THAT SUICIDE IS NOT THE ANSWER.
Alimc1030
Currently Reading: The Bellringer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimc1030.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Alimc1030 »

anniep311 wrote:I personally am a huge fan of this book and believe it should be a book that every teen should read when growing up. I believe that the writing style is perfect for young readers and portrays multiple very important messages. I recommend this book to everyone of all ages and genders.

I completely agree. I think if more teens/ preteens had read the book then you probably wouldn't see as much bullying and they would reflect on how they treat others and gain a little more perspective and empathy for others. All actions have consequences. Just because one act doesn't leave an impression on you doesn't mean that it didn't have a major effect on another person. My son is 6 and already tells me that kids are mean and tease him. At 6 years old they are already dealing with self esteem issues because they aren't as tall or as fast. It gets worse as they get older and it just continues from there. I think if more teens/preteens read the book maybe they would look for the signs. Maybe try to actually help those who are asking for it. Put an end to bullying.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

This book had a very large impact on me. I read it in a day, and had to finish it in private so no one would see me crying. I couldn't stop thinking about it for a week. I don't usually read stuff this dark but I really liked this one.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
ilovebooks2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 »

I haven't had the chance to read the book or watch the series yet. Which should I do first?
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

JenniferOoley wrote: 20 Oct 2013, 14:46 I read this book within an hour. I get it that peer pressure is the issue and that's why all these reasons of suicide existed .... but reality is that suicide is a quiet affair. I understand the author's point in that other people should know the affect they have on a person's life --- but I found little of these reasons to be reasons for suicide. I think that suicide is already within one's mind and to make the point the author could have been more blatant about suggesting how events can push someone overboard. Suicide comes at ages, not just teens... I suppose that is what frustrated me the most. It is a good book for young adults, however, there is not major point in the book that really, strongly suggests that what happens in high school is not worth suicide... that's what is missing from this book.
I agree---I think it's a very poignant story that has the opportunity to help kids suffering with depression, but it stops short of expressing that suicide is not the answer. I wish the author had been more firm on that point since the target audience of this book is so impressionable.
ibanneil

Post by ibanneil »

i’ve just finished reading this book, and i have a mixed opinion regarding this book. it’s a good book because it talks about suicide and the effects bullying but what i dont like about the book is the reasons why hannah killed herself i just feel like it was too shallow but overall it was a great book to read, i suggest reading this book when your feeling down :D
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I read the book last year honestly I was hoping it would be a great read since it was addressing suicide and bullying and stuff but it wasn’t that deep. Basically, it’s about immature high school kids and obviously everybody seems to relate to it because yeah at some point we have to go through such things but overall the book lacks substance and characters are too shallow. I found the book lame, no offence.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Dess96

Post by Dess96 »

I liked the book a lot and I have lost multiple friends to suicide. The fact they made it into a TV show just says that suicide is cool. The book in itself says that its not okay that you should help people, the show doesn't show that.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”