Official Review: Through My Daughter's Eyes by Julia Dye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Through My Daughter's Eyes by Julia Dye

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through My Daughter's Eyes" by Julia Dye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through My Daughter’s Eyes by Julia Dye is a young adult novel about a military family’s experiences from the perspective of the soldier’s daughter. Middle-schooler Abbie Matthews is an Army brat living with her parents in Austin, TX. When her father’s battalion is deployed to the Middle East, she and her mother have trouble coping. Abbie starts having panic attacks and nightmares, while her mother withdraws and starts drinking heavily. The tween finds the situation difficult to handle and begins to see a therapist.

I thoroughly enjoyed this thought-provoking book. The topic of how a family deals with a loved one’s deployment during wartime is realistically portrayed. An only child, Abbie worries about her father being in danger. Her mother, Stacy, gets drunk during the day in order to cope. This leads to her falling asleep and failing to pick Abbie up from school, as well as a drunk-driving arrest.

The characters are all well drawn, including Abbie’s best friend Megan. Abbie’s grandfather is also an interesting character as he is a combat veteran and can relate to the current situation. He becomes a much-needed source of support for Abbie, since her mother has become distant emotionally.

The conversational writing style is done so well that I felt as if Abbie was chatting with me in person. The tween’s “voice” is captured with all the facets of her personality and anxiety about her father’s safety. The description of Abbie and her mother walking like zombies is very apt and gave me a good sense of their state of mind. The author has a real talent for creating imagery, whether it’s the rock climbing wall in Abbie’s bedroom or a going-away barbecue for the soldiers. The section detailing Abbie and her father’s visit to the VA office is particularly well written and showcases the VA’s overly bureaucratic system.

The story is fast-paced and I almost finished the entire book in one evening. The emotions are palpable and I wished I could reach out and comfort Abbie msyelf. Still, there is a rushed feel with time jumps that are sometimes confusing. I thought one scene occurred soon after her dad's deployment and then discovered the time period was nine months later. Also, one chapter ends with her grandfather telling Abbie her mom is in jail. There is no explanation given, although the reader can speculate it’s for drunk driving. The next chapter moves on to a different topic and there is no follow-up on the cause or aftermath of Stacy’s arrest.

The book contains several errors. There are missing words, incorrect word usage/typos within the context, spelling errors, etc. A few examples are: “there is goes” instead of “there it goes,” “one” instead of “once,” and “listed to the adults talk” instead of “listened to the adults talk.” The errors mar the otherwise high quality of the writing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an engrossing, raw look at the impact of war deployment on a family. I recommend this story to military families and anyone who has felt the ground shift significantly in their daily lives. I was sad to leave the characters behind on the last page and hope the author will consider writing a sequel.

Through My Daughter's Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The topic of the book interests me, even if I don't have a military family. I never wondered what happens in the minds of those left home in war. The husband is the so-said hero, while the wife has to patiently wait for him to return. But no one can know how much it affects her. Thank you for the review!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The title of the book suggests that it is a good book. It covers challenges present in families which makes it interesting. Awesome review.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Laura and Kemunto! It was interesting to see how different members of the family reacted to the dad being on a dangerous mission.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A YA book about a military family’s experiences from the perspective of the daughter sounds unique. Well done to the author for portraying so well the impact of war deployment on the family. Too bad about the errors, though. Not really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really touching and engaging story - and it was a very helpful and sensitive review, thanks.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I teach in a military town. My teen students could relate to this book.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors in this book, but I love the topic. I can only imagine how hard it is to be a military brat. We need more focus on how children, especially, deal with the uncertainty. I do enjoy young adult novels, so I'll have to look at this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
irumbadianarose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by irumbadianarose »

Its an amaizing story this could happen to any one in their shoes today,going astray ,and I hav also seen such things happen in my country. People can even go far to lossing their lives more soo peaople who love you as a father.And in instances where the family depended on only you financially every thing falls apart. I love the story and its an amaizing story because I personally know what it means to deploy the person you truely love in the army we all know u either fight or die .wow
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review, the book seems really interesting.
feranmibodz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by feranmibodz »

This is a good book talking about the present day challenges in military homes. It helps. Thumbs up
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I can't imagine how terrifying it is for Abbie with her father's deployment to that largely volatile area. I appreciate the fact that the author's imagery is palpable and realistic, especially Stacy's manner of handling the situation. I don't think I have the heart for this, but I believe it would be a source of support to families in similar situations. Thanks for the detailed review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Priscah2

Post by Priscah2 »

This is interesting, this book captures what is happing in real life. The topic is pretty awesome. I like it,, but the spelling errors and miss words have to be corrected.
Jaran2018

Post by Jaran2018 »

The title of the book suggests that it is awesome book. It covers challenges present in families which makes it super interesting. Awesome review.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounds like this one is so relevant to those who are in the military and what the family has to go through to accommodate that way of life. It sounds like the main character was left alone to her own devices and trying to find her way in the world. It's too bad about the errors and the incomplete storyline because this book sounds like it would reach the hearts of many who need support. If it's good enough for a sequel, than the author should make the slight changes in this one and carry on! I enjoyed reading your review.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”