Gone by Micheal Grant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lulus Lemons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Gone by Micheal Grant

Post by Lulus Lemons »

The book Gone by Micheal Grant is about this dystopian society where everyone 15 years of age and older disappears. Some of the kids start to mutate into beings, still people, with weird powers. As the story line continues, more people show up and all hell breaks loose. These kids eventually start to run out of food and supplies with the barrier surrounding them and cutting them out from reality.
Madi-Anne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madi-Anne »

The entire Gone Series by Michael Grant is loosely inspired by the classic novel ‘Lord of the Flies’ written by William Golding. It explores how unsupervised children react in an almost post-apocalyptic circumstance, only this time the kids have powers that are being used for both good and evil. As the story line progresses, not only throughout the first novel but the entire series, the fine line between what is right and what is wrong blurs significantly.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I liked this book, its a really intriuging premise and I cant wait to read the next few books and find out what's going on!
mama2020
Favorite Book: The Reptile Room
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama2020.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by mama2020 »

I've read the book three times now. It's an amazing book and I recommend it to anybody. basically, it's about a fictional book about kids above 15 disappearing because of an alien and a nuclear reactor explosion. It's really cool. :D
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

I'd definitely recommend this series. It was a really exciting series to read. I think I was thirteen or twelve when I started reading them and the 450+ page count of each book did not deter me at all. I flew through those books!
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I've had this book on my shelf for so long now but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. However, your comments made me want to read it. I'll definitely give it a shot.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I've read the first book of this series, but I haven't reached for the next installments. I have a copy of Hunger somewhere, probably... hopefully I didn't lose it. Anyway, I remember likng the characters and the power struggle aspect. The survival bit didn't entirely engaged me (I was on a dystopia craze when I started Gone so...) but I still enjoyed the pressure they were in. It's good... Maybe I should revisit and pick it up again.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I love the Gone series by Michael Grant! When I read Lord of The Flies with my daughters I realised the similarities between the two. I read the books my daughters were required to read so that I could discuss it with them. While reading Lord of The Flies, my thoughts frequently went to Gone. I thought that it might benefit the students more to be required to read Gone, either in place of Lord of the Flies or in tandem in order to have comparative discussions. Also, having a more current book required could illustrate that there are contemporary books available to them. This could encourage more reading, beyond what is required.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Maconstewart wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 10:03 I love the Gone series by Michael Grant! When I read Lord of The Flies with my daughters I realised the similarities between the two. I read the books my daughters were required to read so that I could discuss it with them. While reading Lord of The Flies, my thoughts frequently went to Gone. I thought that it might benefit the students more to be required to read Gone, either in place of Lord of the Flies or in tandem in order to have comparative discussions. Also, having a more current book required could illustrate that there are contemporary books available to them. This could encourage more reading, beyond what is required.
I think requiring readings including contemporary books is a great idea! I definitely benefitted from reading classical literature and would love for future generations to continue to be exposed to it, but I agree that incorporating more modern books would be very encouraging to young readers. A lot of language in classic literature is difficult for modern young readers to understand, so it is not as enjoyable for lots of young people to read for fun. Where as modern literature uses language that is more accessible. Comparing stories from classic and modern literature would be a great way to inspire deeper discussions and show some of the themes that remain throughout time as integral to the human experience.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”