Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Re: Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Post by Gigareads »

I enjoyed the books but hated the ending. If I were to recommend the series to a friend I would probably suggest skipping the last book or at least warn them to have a box of tissues near by when they are reading it. I remember going through different stages of grief when I read it. First I was sad and bawling my eyes out, then I got quite angry at the author for putting me through this. In the end I came to understand why Roth ended the series this way, but I still don't like it. I prefer happy endings.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The emotional ending did leave me in a roller coaster of emotions and not completely happy with the book.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I didn´t like the ending simply because I felt there were many characters who could have helped Tris or at least tried instead of leaving her to face David. I do think it wrapped up the series very well, but knowing how the characters will blame themselves and will find it hard to move on is upsetting. I appreciate the courage it took to give up the character though.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I liked that Roth didn't give readers exactly what they wanted in terms of a happy ending, especially with regards to Tris' death. What bugged me was how seamlessly the other characters blended regardless of gene purity. I find it hard to imagine that those subjected to the factions didn't have a lot more to say and do or wanted some form of retaliation.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Everyone wants an HEA, but if every story has it, the unique edge of them all seems significantly reduced. One of the lessons here is no matter how much we love our MC they're often just as susceptible to the limitations of life as we are.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

I read this book and watched the movie a while ago so I don't really remember too much. I'm planning on reading all the books and watching all the movies again though. Whenever an author writes a book and you get emotionally attached to them and then something "like that" happens - well its very sad. That's all I can say it was a sad ending that may or may not have made me cry.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

After all she went through, she just died :(
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

The ending was really sad, but I did not dislike it. What was shocking was the fact that the Allegiant the movie had a totally different ending. In order to make the movie more likeable and profitable, the creators just rewrote the ending into a happy one. I feel that it does not do justice to the book and its loyal readers.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I loved the ending too! It certainly hurt to read but I enjoyed it anyway. I think the idea of happy ever after in every situation is unrealistic and se this made sense. Plus it is important for people to realise that wars, big or small have consequences.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Perfect endings might be all rage, but I personally like a fresh approach every now and then. I might be in the minority, but I liked the way Roth ended it.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

It was a hard read for me, selfishly I don’t like books with sad endings, I read to immerse myself in a more positive place . However, understand it was the author’s vision!
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

I agree with you! Unlike most commentators here, I think Roth did an excellent job with the ending.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I enjoyed the book overall, but I did not like the ending. I hate it when authors kill off their main characters. It just breaks my heart. The ending is the main reason I have not read the book again. One of these days though, I think I will reread the series.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I didn´t like the ending simply because I felt there were many characters who could have helped Tris or at least tried instead of leaving her to face David.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”