Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

John Karavino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by John Karavino »

Loved Divergent, just like the movie the book didn't disappoint either. It had a huge lesson in it about being different. Some people fit into one thing whilst others are adaptable to others just like Tris was with Abnegation, Erudite and Dauntless.Really good book...thanks Veronica Roth
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Oh My God its a 10/10 read. I loved the whole series although cried a lot at the end of it but never read anything like it. I deserves the hype it has.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I really liked the book. It introduced a new concept and was unique for its genre. Divergent was a fun read and I am glad that I read it before watching the movie. It is three out of four stars for me.
Nadine1357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine1357.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Nadine1357 »

I loved all 4 of these books especially Fours book it was interesting to see everything though his eyes rather than Tris. However I enjoyed the first film but it got further and further from the book as the films went on and the last one was unrecognisable.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Sometimes the hype surrounding a book is just that - hype, but this book deserves it status. It had wonderful world-building, different character archetypes and dealt with a lot of real-world issues in a dystopian setting. I give it a 3/4 rating.
Diana2021
Currently Reading:

Post by Diana2021 »

I love it. It is dynamic. Lots of is going on there at once. It was excited and amazing. I think Divergent is best of all three. I love how
is Tris different and she wants to be. Tris and Four. I really like them. They are young and brave and not scared at all. They want to win war for the good side. They always want to be on a good side and help save the world. I admire their determination. They trust each other. In my opinion the book is way better than movie. It is good too but I do not picture it that way so I was a little disappointed. I highly recommended this book.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I felt this was a very typical post-modern plot. MC realizes someone is bad, fights them, joins the "good" side, then decides the good side isn't good, and splits off. I didn't particularly like Tris, either. I personally felt she was boring.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Darlene Ballerda

Post by Darlene Ballerda »

I've read Divergent a month ago, then read the second book earlier this month and to be honest I don't remember anything from it, even Insurgent. The first book was attainably good considering I've watched the movie so it plays quite clearer in my head back then. I absolutely root for Four's whole personality in the book I think his character was so challenging, and substantial in Tris' perspective; I'm gonna get so much hate for this but I actually liked Peter, not the whole eye-poking, sexualizing Beatrice part but the fact that he was a morally gray character in the story, it kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what he might do next or who's side is he really on especially in the second book.

I vaguely remember the characters more than the actual plot which was surprisingly the reason why I read it. Haven't read the final book in the series but overall give it 3 stars, it's easy to read for people or rather teens who wants to start and have a more elevated reading experience than usual. Great for beginners!
Alexia Comte

Post by Alexia Comte »

I really enjoyed Divergent, my family members said it was a great book and really interesting. I enjoyed the first few chapters, however, I felt some characters lacked development and the storyline was slow. I feel like it should've had more excitement to get the readers more hooked. Tris is a great character and she relates to many teenagers nowadays, but when there is a lot happening and we can't really see if the story is heading somewhere, you can't see the characters shine like they could be.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I really liked Divergent, both the movie and the book. The storyline is interesting, plus, Tris is likeable and relatable.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I actually read Divergent after I saw the movie. This little fact made me appreciate the book more.
I really enjoyed reading Divergent and I had high hopes going into the second book, but somehow I didn't really enjoy the book and I don't remember much of Allegiant except for the climax. :|
I occasionally think about giving the series another chance, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The concept and world-building was very interesting to me. The relationships were also heart-wrenching and I loved them. So I would give it a 4 out of 4 rating.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I loved it! The whole series gave me quite a thrilling experience! Rated it 4/4!

:D
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I really enjoyed this book. The writing was top notch, and the plot was exciting. I also really was into YA at the time so it just checked all the boxes for me.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

I got to know about the books while watching the first movie, and once I did, it was books all the way through for me. I'm a books person so I'll be staying away from the movies. And the books are awesome! A lot of people are somewhat bummed by the ending, but I liked how Roth wrote it. Perfect 4/4 from me!

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”