What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think my family would be Erudite and I would be expected to follow based on my intellect. However, at the core of my being I seek peace so I would choose Amity in my heart. I don't know if I would have the strength to go against my family at age 16 though.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

At 16, I am quite sure I would have chosen Dauntless. However as an adult, I associate more with Erudite. This makes me wonder how successful a faction system based on character would be, especially as teenagers are often not the character they become as an adult. Unexpected experiences in their life may alter a character dramatically, and there's no way of changing faction!
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

I would likely have been born into Candor because my family really values telling the truth. I would have chosen Erudite though.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

Both my friends and I agree that I would be dauntless. Either by birth or chosen, I do believe that to be my faction. I am very brave and a daredevil, always taking risks and doing dangerous things just for the thrill. I do, however, think that choosing at 16 seems to be cutting it kind of close. I mean, you would be choosing where it is your life is going and you can’t take it back, allow while trying to find out if David likes you or not.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I think Erudite has always suited me, growing up and now. I love reading and learning new things.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

When I was 16 I probably would have chosen Erudite. At that age school was the most important thing to me and seemed like such a big deal. If I were to have to pick now, I am not sure what I would have chose because each faction offers different benefits. As the books have taught us we don't have to be just one thing so I would probably end up being factionless.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

My family would have been Candor... I would have chosen Amity. while my family centres on strict principles and morals, I am a free-spirited girl who can care less. I hate limitations. so dauntless would be fine too. I am short and my physical condition might not suit for Dauntless. but my will is strong. so, either Dauntless or Amity.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I was born into an Amity-type family, concerned about image, kindness, forgiveness, and peace for the sake of avoiding conflict. I did what was expected of me, so at 16 I might have dreamed of being Dauntless but remain in Amity. At heart though, I fit as an Erudite who loves education and growing in knowledge. At age 40 I would have wanted to change factions and follow my heart instead of doing what was expected.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I think I would be divergent , but will choose erudite, because I would be a good fit there.
Michael_Cries-a-ton
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Michael_Cries-a-ton »

Most definitely Erudite!

I was in the military when I was 16, (no, I didn't mean military school) and I found the most insufferable part of that experience being loneliness. I was the only one who read anything except for letters. I thirsted and hungered for intelligent conversation, a fellow geek, a nerd, anything! So at that age, I would definitely have been born Amity and converted to Erudite.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

Either Erudite or Abnegation- I'm not particularly honest, brave or peaceful. I'd honestly be really nervous about choosing my future and possibly leaving my family at 16, but I would use my test results to find out which faction to choose. If I was divergent, I would choose whichever I thought would have the easiest initiation (Gosh, I sound like an Erudite, don't I?!).
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I think I would choose Abnegation. It seems like it would be a good fit for me.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I likely would have been born into Amity and would have likely chosen to remain in the community of Amity!
scrivoio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrivoio.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by scrivoio »

I’ve always identified with Dauntless. All of the factions were corrupt, I think, but there’s something inherently appealing about the Dauntless faction. As an ideal, their purpose is not to live without fear, but to live without being hindered by fear. Experiencing fear and succumbing to it are two very different things, I think. As someone who’s experienced a lot of fear and traumatic situations in my life, learning to live with fear has been intrinsic to my growth as a person. Also, jumping off a building into a giant trampoline net thing sounds pretty dope.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

At age 16 I definitely would not have fitted in with Candor! I think Dauntless would’ve intrigued me, but I probably wouldn’t have chosen it because I was rather reserved back then. I’m pretty sure I would’ve gone with Amity; I have always valued the earth and living a natural lifestyle.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”