What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I think I would have been naturally introduced to Erudite. My family additionally puts incredible incentive on education. At the age of 16 I would also have chosen Erudite.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

I would choose Candor since I do speak what's in my mind and always seeking for the truth. I don't want to be kept in the dark.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Like Tris, i think i would be born into Abnegation. But if i were to choose at 16, i'll choose Erudite cause I think i'm smart. :P
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I would have chosen erudite, for sure. I love reading not just novels, even book about interesting topics I don't know about.
AC Morano
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AC Morano »

I would have probably born an Erudite because I came from parents who were both working as professionals. My dad was an analyst and my mom, a teacher. At 16, I would've chosen to belong in Amity though.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I would have been born into Abnegation. Seeing as how selfless my mom is. But, if in remember correctly, I was quite rebellious when I was 16 so maybe I would have chosen either Daunteless or Candor.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I think my family would be Abnegation and there would be a bit of that faction in me too. But I would have chosen Dauntless, that kind of lifestyle appealed to me back then.
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I think, at age 16, I would have chosen Dauntless because I wanted to be edgy or something. I probably would have been born into Erudite because my family is a family of bookworms. Now, I would prefer Erudite over any of the others but I'm not sure I would trust myself to make that decision at 16!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

johappy wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 22:01 I think, at age 16, I would have chosen Dauntless because I wanted to be edgy or something. I probably would have been born into Erudite because my family is a family of bookworms. Now, I would prefer Erudite over any of the others but I'm not sure I would trust myself to make that decision at 16!
I am exactly the same way. I think I would've been born into Erudite, but then wanted to be rebellious as I was prone to do at 16. Then I'd probably end up regretting my decision...probably when I became factionless for not making it through that rough initiation.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I think my family most closely resembles Candor for its honesty as well as its inconsideration. I definitely would have chosen Euridite as I've always had a love for learning and knowledge over everything else, even if I spent a good portion of my teens pretending to be Dauntless. :wink:
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

My identity has always been strongly tied to my intellect – top of the class, etc. – so I definitely would have chosen erudite. Too bad about the way they're portrayed in Divergent, though I guess the point is that intellect without checks and balances will end up going to far, and I'd like to think my moral compass would have pushed me to support the divergents. But then again, if I were raised in that world who knows what my belief system would have been? Chances are I'd have stuck with the people I cared about, and that would have dictated my allegiances.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I guess I would have chosen the Candor Faction, I always valued honesty, and I hated fake friends. I despised being handed fake compliments. So I made it my life goal to always speak what's on my mind, even if it wasn't always beneficial for my social life.
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

My mother would probably be Abnegation or Amity and this would be what I was brought up as. I would have chosen either Erudite or Amity. I love reading and learning but sometimes I think being intellectual or academic is limiting so Amity might have been the natural choice; peace and love LOL. NB my username is vanessaonelove. Big LOL
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Probably Candor because they get good food and work indoors and I’m completely unable to tell ,it’s anyway.

I would have preferred Amity, but couldn’t face the cold showers.
I probably wouldn’t get into Erudite
Abnegation, too much like hard work
Dauntless, join a faction that will throw you out to starve once you get above a certain age? No thanks.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I think I would have been born into Erudite and I would choose Erudite at the ceremony when I was 16. I love to learn new things and expand my knowledge, which is why I feel I would be in this faction. I would be lucky to not have to leave my family, which I appreciate because family is also really important to me.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”