What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Scott »

The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What faction do you think you would have been born into, given your family and its values? Which faction would you select at your Choosing Ceremony? Why? How would you feel about making a decision that would determine your life’s course at the age of sixteen?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gfarrell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gfarrell »

I would have been born into Erudite because my family is all about education and they value it. At sixteen I would have chosen dauntless. I like to think I'm brave when no one else is. I think making that decision at sixteen is no different than choosing a career path when you're sixteen because that leads you to choose whether or not you want to graduate high school, pick a college, and see if you have to do any post grad work. Beyond that it also decides how much you will make in the future.
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I would likely have been born into Amity as my family is all about maintaining a certain social image with friends and church. At sixteen, I most probably would have chosen Candor because at the time I was rebelling against the inert falsity of my families image. I realize now that would have ruined my life as I was still young and not completely sure of what I wanted in life. In the present day since I have grown and my values have shifted towards becoming much more focused on education and developing a future I would best be suited for Erudite.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Alexsandra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsandra.html

Post by Alexsandra »

I would have been born into Amity. My father would have been born Amity and my Mother would have been Dauntless and as she grow up turned Amity. They where big on Self- Sufficency, kindness, forgiveness, and Trust almost to a fault. I would have stayed Amity because I am comfortable with those value's. I do not think kid's of this age are ready to make the choice as to what they will be for the rest of their life's and leave everything behind to do so. If I would have had to make the choice and go to another fraction, I would have felt very stressed, very scared, and very sad. Hoping I would not be making the biggest mistake of my life with no way to turn back.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I would have almost certainly been born into Erudite as my family is very big on education. When I'm 16, I would actually still choose Erudite (though it is likely that I would end up factionless as I am not so intelligent or smart) but it seems interesting and there fields of job (doctor, teacher) are something that I want to be and I would love to know everything and all. However, I wouldn't really want to join when they're evil, though... :/ I want to join because of the what the faction is and its purpose, not the people in it or the situation.
My weekend is all booked!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I think I would have been born into Erudite. As others have said, my family also places great value on education. When I was younger, even after I finished my homework, I would read extra books and learn things outside school. My parents even made me take extra math classes during the summer. As it was, I was kind of bored of studying and reading all the time, so if I were to choose a faction at 16 years old, I would've wanted the faction that was the exact opposite of being studious. I would've chosen Dauntless because I think the danger and adventure would've been something I would've wanted at that time to make my life more interesting. However, now that I'm older, Dauntless is not a faction that I would want to be a part of. I do think 16 is too young to make a life decision because things can change when you're older.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think Erudite since I love to read and study.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

My family would have been Abnegation. I probably would have chosen Erudite. After all, according to my baby sister, I always was a nerd.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

I think I would have been born into Amity and then moved to Erudite at 16, but then again I probably couldn't leave my family so I would probably have ended up staying with Amity.
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I would have been born in Eurudite (majority of family members on both sides are teachers). I would have had a hard time choosing at 16 which faction. It would have been a toss up between Erudite and Dauntless. But ultimately, I would have chosen Erudite. I love learning, reading and my family.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

I probably would have been in Erudite because my family values education and I probably would have chosen that because that is what I value as well.

http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
colbs

Post by colbs »

i would have been born into dauntless for sure and probably would have chosen it since id been born into it, otherwise i would have chosen amity, given that I value their views.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I don't know what faction I would have been born into. Maybe Amity or Abnegation, but then again, maybe Erudite. I do know that at 16 I would have chosen Erudite. I was smart and knew it, now that I am older I am not as smart as I once thought that I was, LOL.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
Esrever
Favorite Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Currently Reading: January 6th and the Millenial Horde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esrever.html
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
fav_author_id: 2642

Post by Esrever »

I think ultimately, since I'm a huge nerd when it comes to books and logic problems and history: Erudite. I also have a wicked rebellious streak in me so I also fit in the Dauntless category. What happens if you choose multiple factions during the ceremony? Or do they just decide that whatever comes first is the one you're stuck with? Hell I'd just become Allegiant and leave the stupid city and live a nomad on the outside.
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
dchester723

Post by dchester723 »

Well i would have been born into Abnegation because thats what my mother ended up on the quiz. when i took the test i showed as a divergent that fell into Amity and Erudite, but would choose amity because i'd rather choose the free side rather than the smart, stuck-up side, (of myself, not other erudite candidates) and i would be happy with the decision because in the end i would be living pretty much out of the city and when the time came, because of my divergence i could leave a lot easier

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”