What do you make of "Faction Before Blood"?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Re: What do you make of "Faction Before Blood"?

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think this shouldn't be such a strict rule as it distances people from their families unnecessarily. It seems like cult behaviour to forcefully break familial ties to get people to be more focused on the factions.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Slogans like "faction before blood" are hallmarks of absolute societies (e.g fascist states). Absolutism, or too much of anything is never good. As an ardent fan of Orwell, this fact shot into my notice immediately.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think that belief is a core reason why the faction system worked at all. The belief that the factions are valid and represent people correctly is crucial. If people didn’t believe in that the system as a whole would break.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

This slogan, 'Faction before Blood' was how the faction system worked in the first place. Without people attaching significant emotional value to the factions, how will the factions exist even?
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think this does apply to society today. Many people go one way or the other. Either their work consumes them, or family is the most important thing in the world. I don't think one should threaten the other. I would definitely say that my family comes first, but my parents do not try to stop me from pursuing my goals. I would hope for the same from whoever I marry in the future. On that note, I also would not stop my children from pursuing their dreams, whatever they are. So I think that the idea of losing your family because you chose another faction is horrible.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

It's a ruse. The institution came up with it to better control their society. I think that a good society is transparent to a great degree with systems that everyone understands. I think the factions should infact work together to better carry out their roles and achieve the ultimate goal. There was something sinister about it all and this rule of faction before blood was a clear symptom.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Wow, they are really interesting questions, and it would depend on each case. For some you forgive the concept of family is very important and for others it is as if it did not matter. Here comes into play the upbringing and the environment in which they developed and the life experiences of each one, because in some cases the blood family was never a support, nor help and nothing and outsiders were everything, so this point can be highly debatable.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

This was definitely a manipulative tool being used by the government. I don't think anyone in Tris's family, other than her mother deserved her help, but they didn't try to force her hand like the government. So I would definitely disagree with 'faction before blood.' It is simply a tool to force young minds to do their dirty work.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Fractions before blood makes sure collusion between people doesn't happen. I don't know like the extremity portrayed in the book but loved that tris and her brother did choose blood over fraction.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I believe that family comes first. How can you give up your family just because you pick a different faction than you were raised? I know that Tres' mother was Dauntless, but I choose to believe that she would have visited on family day even if she had not been.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”