"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Sometimes honesty really needs bravery. However, honesty can be a bit too much at times.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Both factions are brave in completely different ways. To live in a society like Candor though... It would be nice if born into it. Conditioned from a young age. I don't think it possible in our current society because... white lies.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

I definitely agree that it takes bravery to be honest. Being honest makes you vulnerable and open to judgement or even punishment. You have to be brave to voluntarily put yourself in that position, even if you value the truth above all else.
I also agree that being selfless and being brave are related. It's easy to be scared and selfish, we all have a desire to protect ourselves and pursue our own interests. Being able to put that aside to help others, even if it inconveniences us or puts us in danger is difficult. That takes bravery and selflessness, and sometimes it's hard to see the difference.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I believe honesty is something really brave. While dauntless took risks and become fearless, candor took the truth to the extreme. Either way, I believe the first time you have to be truthful might be really hard, but after it, the truth would come rather easily. In dauntless, you'll have to always be courageous in different types of situations. I think dauntless is the bravest.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I do agree that it requires bravery to be honest. I don't think dauntless are braver simply because they jump onto trains etc. I think each person's bravery shows differently and it cannot be judged based on their faction.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I don't believe being honest all the time is brave. It's reckless. You're going to keep hurting other people's feelings. Despite what we were taught growing up, sometimes you have to tell a lie for peace to remain. I don't think I want to live in Candor.
Phyll Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyll-kamau.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Phyll Kamau »

I agree that it requires bravery to be honest. However, I believe that it requires bravery to be selfless, intellectual, or peaceful. I prefer to live in a society where people are always honest. Honesty would solve many of humanity's problems.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

A society wholly based on truth, that's very hard to visualise. However, I feel that sometimes, a bit of lying is necessary. In our world, we see parents toiling hard and yet coming home to smile for their kids, and telling them that they had a great day. What if they had to tell their kids that they had to put in those extra hours in hellish conditions so that the kids had something to eat?

Yes it requires bravery to be honest everytime, but one thing that we must keep in consideration is, is honesty good in all situations?
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think the types of bravery are different. For candor, it is more intellectual. For Dauntless it is more physical and a mental state of mind.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Yup it does. Being honest, well, let's admit isn't easy. It involves making tough decisions and choices. However, the faction Candor took it too extremely.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Actually, that statement is correct. Both bravery and honesty go hand in hand. It does take a lot of bravery to be completely honest with someone, especially if it is hard to hear. That's because complete honesty means being vulnerable and many don't want to hurt whoever they are speaking to. I do think there is a good and bad ways to say things though. You can still be honest but be kind about it. It seems like the Candor faction might be so honest to the point of being mean at times. For that reason, I don't know if I would want to be a part of the Candor faction. This isn't because I don't value honesty, but because I think it should be done in respectable ways. Therefore I would probably choose Dauntless over Candor.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Scott wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 13:22 The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Tris says about Candor, “It must require bravery to be honest all the time” (p. 62). Do you agree? Which do you think is a braver faction, Dauntless or Candor? Would you like to live in a society like Candor, where everyone tells the truth no matter how hard it is to hear?

-- 03 Jun 2014 01:24 pm --

One thing I find especially interesting about this connection between bravery and honesty is that the book also often connects the selflessness of Abnegation with bravery as well. On more than one occasion in the book it is asserted explicitly that the selfless thing to do and the bravest thing to do are often one in the same. In this sense, many of the 5 different values represented by each faction are showing to actually represent a single similar but more sophisticated ideal.
It definitely requires bravery to be honest all the time. Especially to people you really care about like family members. I would not like to live in a society like candor. Some times, I too do not want to hear the truth! 😄
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

It takes courage to be honest, but that doesn't mean you have to say exacly what you think all the time regardless the situation.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Oh yes it does. Lying is cowardice because it shields one temporarily from consequences. But if a person is willing to face consequences, then they're brave.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

*I agree with Tris, although in some people it can lead to impudence, because it is not only what is said, but how it is said.
*dauntless, they are the bravest, definitely, they don't beat around the bush and they are supposed to show themselves as they really are.
*no, I would not like it.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”