"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by doyle5 »

I think it does require a lot of bravery to be honest all the time. The phrase " everyone has their dirty little secrets" is said for a reason. The majority of the human population is very afraid of what the people around them think of them.

There are three main reasons people lie.
1) We are afraid of what will happen when we tell the truth.
2) We want to be more interesting
3) Self image (this fits in with 1 and 2, but I felt it was a big enough reason to have its own numeral)

Other people are apart of our lives. It wouldn't be bearable if everyone you knew your secrets (which depending on who you are would put you in jail or become public mockery) and ultimately choose to treat you harshly.
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

Well, nobody can be 100% honest all the time. The most common lie that people say each day is "I'm fine" or "I'm not sad". These are just a few examples. It takes lots of bravery from a person to tell the truth, eventough it hurts to the person who is hearing the truth.
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Mares Nest »

This is so tricky. It requires bravery to be honest in a world you understand, where people are mean and exploiting and you have to be careful about every word.
But when you're a child or even or grown up who doesn't know the working of the world, honesty comes as easy as breathing. You don't see the reason to lie.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I think Dauntless focuses more on physically being brave. The actual act of physically going outside and doing something you're afraid of. However, I do believe bravery is so much more than that. Most of the lies are tell are because I am afraid of the consequences. It takes bravery to hold peace above anything else. It takes bravery to be selfless and make certain that everyone is as well as you are. It definitely takes bravery to delve deeper into knowledge, especially things that are so far out of reach.
My weekend is all booked!
Krazk01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Krazk01 »

Honestly, I think there is strength to be found in all of the factions. Dauntless focuses more on the nitty gritty stereotypical ideal of "strength", whereas the rest of the factions pose a view of strength that takes a little more insight to notice.

Candor, for example requires its members to be completely truthful at all times. Theres a lot of little things in life that we sometimes lie about, like persee taking our parents food out of the fridge and telling them it was our brother, or when our friends ask us if we like someone and we lie and say no. The thought of being honest all the time, i'm sure makes some people want to jump out of their skin. To be completely honest about who we are, what we think, and what we feel is akin to vulnerability and a kind of nakedness :oops: I'd say. And most people aren't used to that. Most of us are so afraid of being rejected for who we honestly are that the thought of having to keep every single aspect of our lives in the open is frightening. Its so hard for us to trust the people around us with who we are, our very heart of hearts, its hard to trust that the people around us can not break that. We're scared of people breaking us. So, to answer the thread topic, I do think it would require a certain amount of bravery for the average person to be able to spill all their secrets out in the open, all the time.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Tanafee wrote:True- it takes bravery to be truthful and admit to ones mistakes.
In real life, when you're trying to apologise to someone for doing something wrong or hurtful, it is really difficult. For me, that is. Honestly, I'm just worried that the person will reject my apology. It definitely takes courage to admit that you were wrong.
Although those in Candor aren't in Dauntless, they do possess some sort of bravery in them to always speak the truth. It is always difficult to break sad news to someone and they are unable to tell white lies to conceal the actual truth.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I would say Dauntless and Candor display two different kinds of bravery. The Dauntless perform acts that could hurt them or get them killed, but they do these things out of bravery and by controlling their fears. The bravery Candor requires deals more with how people will react and perceive you once you speak your mind. You could end of hurting someone's feelings, alienating yourself or just be in a generally awkward situation, all things people usually try to avoid. So it may not be quite the same as throwing yourself off a moving train or jumping off buildings, but it does take some level of bravery to tell the truth at times.
laylawhite
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laylawhite.html

Post by laylawhite »

I agree with Tris because sometimes it's not always easy to tell the truth. I also feel like Candor is more brave than Dauntless in some aspects because it must be difficult to tell people you love the truth even though it might hurt them.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I strongly believe that Candor is braver than Dauntless. Although it requires fear to be set aside at times, once you do something a few times, that fear disappears. Candor is truth through and through. You tell everyone the truth and that can be dangerous if someone doesn't agree with you or gets their feelings hurt or doesn't like what you say. It's a chance every time. I don't think that being candor all the time is a great idea. Sometimes people just need to hear the right words, even if it's a lie.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
yc123
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 906">percy jackson</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yc123 »

It is a fascinating concept. I agree that it does require a fair amount of bravery to be honest all the time. I believe that the Candor faction is in fact just as brave, if not braver, than the Dauntless faction because of the type of bravery required for each. The Dauntless faction are brave in a reckless sense. They have almost no regard for their own lives. They are adrenaline junkies. Some of the decisions they make are either brave or extremely reckless. The Candor bravery, however, is a more subtle type of bravery. They must face their peers and friends and admit everything. It is human nature to want approval so to stand up their and say every bad thing you have ever done, you would have to be extremely courageous.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I certainly do concur that it expects boldness to dependably be straightforward, yet I additionally think it relies upon the individual who is talking and what they feel. For some individual who feels awful about offending other people however needs to come clean regardless of the possibility that it harms somebody, it would expect courage to be completely forthright. Be that as it may, a few people are spooks and appreciate provoking and being pitiless to others.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

It absolutely requires bravery to be honest, because there are somethings you would want to keep to yourself and for you to reveal that, it takes courage.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think it can take bravery to be all the things that are mentioned as the ideal for the other factions, but perhaps not Erudite, although I'm sure there is an instance I'm not thinking of when it would require bravery. I think I'd rather live in Candor than Dauntless - I prefer directness to backstabbing.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think telling the truth all the time requires a thick skin.
I suppose a husband giving an honest reply to “Does my bum look big in this?” must need a certain amount of courage.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I think this a very interesting question. I do think that it takes a certain amount of bravery to be completely honest. These people need to be aware of the repercussions of their words. I think both Candor and Dauntless are brave in their own way. I would not want to live in a society like Candor. I think of myself as a very honest person but I don't think I would like living in a place where everyone continues to say what is on their minds. I don't think that would be a particularly relaxing community to live in. I am under the belief that some things are better left unsaid, especially if they are going to harm another.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”